Chapter 12

Virgil's POV

"Hey kiddo, time to get up," I hear a familiar voice say as they shake me awake. What ungodly hour is Patton trying to wake me up? It may be seven but it's still too early for social interaction, "I just wanted to let you know that Logan'll be here, probably in his room, in case you need anything," He says gently before leaving. Great, I asked for the help of superheroes, and now they're babysitting me like I'm five. Might as well get up, since my body won't let me go back to sleep. Going to sleep is already hard enough, and when can I ever get off easily?

(Keep the dirty jokes to a minimum, we ain't trying to summon Remus)

After changing into one of the only two clean pairs of clothes I have left, I do my make-up using my phone's camera and go out to the main room. Logan is nowhere to be found, so I decide to find something for breakfast before my stomach eats itself. They honestly don't have much around, unless you count all of the ingredients that would serve Patton a lot better than me. I settle for making toast, one of three things I actually know how to cook. During my 'meal' Logan still doesn't show up. Reluctantly, I go over to the room that I'm pretty sure is his.

I knock, getting no response, "Logan? You in there?" I call through the door.

After a minute, he responds, "Why wouldn't I be? This is my room," He states robotically. How long has he been talking to actual people? Seriously, it can't be that long if he's this literal.

Deciding to ignore it for the sake of me actually trying not to be actively hated by all three of my new roommates, "Can I come in?"

"Yes, I cannot exactly prevent you from entering," He says. I sigh, letting it go as I open the door and walk in. He's working on some bracelet-type thing. Probably to use against you. No, nope he's supposed to be one of the good guys he wouldn't do that, you're just being paranoid. Are you though? Yep, this is just proving my point, "What exactly was the point of you coming here?" He asks, not even bothering to turn around.

"I was just curious as to what you were doing since you never came out to eat, and I'm guessing you haven't been awake much longer than me," I explain, feeling awkward that I couldn't come up with a better reason.

"You are correct in assuming that I have not eaten, but I was simply hoping to finish this before my stomach's demand for food became too distracting," He answers, checking the time on his phone, "Actually Virgil, would you mind helping me test this? Testing the cuff on myself would be much less beneficial, especially if it happens to knock me unconscious with its shock," He mumbles the last part, worrying me slightly.

Welp mind, do we still want to get on his good side? Yeah, the last thing I need is more enemies, I've already got at least two of those, "Sure, what is it?" At the very least I should know what it's supposed to do so he can't lie to reassure me, if this guy is even capable of that.

"It's purpose would be to restrict the wearer's use of his or her powers through the use of delivering an electrical shock," He explains casually, "You only have to wear one though, seeing as I can test the magnetics without a 'test dummy,'" He adds, using finger quotes.

"Okay..." I say hesitantly, holding out my arm.

"You have nothing to worry about," He assures me as he locks the cuff onto my arm. As soon as the ends meet it powers on, a couple of different blue lights come on, "Now, would you mind attempting to use your powers?"

Yes, yes I do mind, "Sure," I say instead, damnit anxiety.

Deciding that I don't want to topple the building over like a Jenga tower, I try to use my paralyseize on Logan. As soon as I try to use it, a jolt of electricity shoots through me, nearly knocking me over.

He writes something down, "It seems I should lower the voltage slightly," He mumbles.

"Ya think?" I say, rubbing my arm. He takes my arm, using this flashdrive-looking thing to presumably release my arms from these glorified torture bracelets.

Once the 'key' is inserted though, nothing happens, "Please tell me that it just takes a minute to unlock," I say hopefully.

"That is...not good," He mumbles, making another note, "It seems you are stuck."

"I'm wHaT?" I say, instantly panicking. He's supposed to be the smart one right? He should be able to get me unstuck, RiGhT?!

"Well, the device won't unlock when I use this, which is supposed to essentially disable the device," He explains, appearing much calmer than me, "I will get to work on another 'key' to release you, and if Patton asks this was an accident."

Or I could just get your a$$ in trouble for testing this on me without knowing if you could even turn it off, "I'm just gonna go while you work, want some toast or something?"

He sighs at my poor grammar, "If you wouldn't mind making extra toast, then yes. Instead of butter please use Crofter's, it is in the pantry," Isn't Crofter's a jam? Who puts jam on toast? Well probably a lot of people, but over butter?

Y'know what, not even gonna question it. First I grab my phone so I actually have something to do while the toaster does its job. Once unlocked, I notice a couple new messages from Janus, yaayyyy.

Deceit: If you actually think that you can just hide from us you're wrong

Deceit: You're just as guilty as us, we SAVED you

He's lying, Virge, just remember that. He's just gonna hurt me if you go back, he can't do anything to me when he doesn't know where I am. But he can still do bad things to other people, and that's what scares you.