Chapter 20

Roman's POV

Day 16

For once, Corey decides to give us all a break during rehearsal since we 'finally got through one song without messing up horribly.' That's about as nice as she gets when it comes to directing, but at least she does a good job. I spend the break talking with Bri and Remy, the latter showing up with coffee for a couple of us, courtesy of his job at Deja Brew. We get back to work five minutes later, seeing as 'that's plenty of time for a water break' in Corey's words. We work through several songs in order, since the scenes will be easier to learn. By the time we get to Do You Wanna Ride, rehearsal is technically over, so Corey isn't allowed to keep us here anymore. Heh, take that ya tyrant.

I grab my bag and see Kyle for basically the first time all day, "Hey Roman," He says, looking a bit nervous.

"Hey Kyle, what's up?" I reply, taking out my phone before closing my bag again.

"I was wondering if you wanted to go out for dinner on Saturday?" He asks me after a minute. Wait, what?

"As in a date?" I ask, just to be sure. It would definitely be easier if it wasn't, but he wouldn't be so nervous if he just meant it as friends.

"Yeah," He clarifies.

For some reason his request makes me feel...wrong. But I can't just reject him, he's my friend. I don't want to lead him on either, but it can't be that bad, right? If the date goes well, then maybe it'll help me get over that butterfly feeling I'm starting to get around Virgil. I can't let myself develop feelings for him, especially if he's straight. But holy sh!t do I hope he's gay- nope, don't get your hopes up Roman!

I sigh internally, "Where and what time?" I ask him. A small part of me feels bad for agreeing, like I was trying to cheat my heart into falling for someone else, someone that I've never had romantic feelings for before in the years that I've known him. And yet in literal days I find myself taking a liking to a former villain?

Kyle brightens at my question, "How about six o'clock at Wretch's Grill?" He suggests. I nod and he smiles, "See you there," He walks off.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Virgil's POV

Day 18

Roman was the one staying with me today, and around 5:30, he came out of his room dressed in a different outfit than he was wearing an hour ago, "Where are you going?" I ask. As far as I know they still planned on keeping someone with me at all times, probably so I couldn't steal anything or whatever they thought I would do if unsupervised.

"Don't tell Logan or Patton, because I'll never hear the end of it, but I'm going out on a dinner date with someone," He answers, using the hallway mirror to unnecessarily fix his hair.

"Oh," I say, my mood immediately turning sour for some reason, "Don't worry, I won't snitch," I add quickly. If even I don't understand this feeling, then I might as well avoid confusing him too. All I know is that I feel really...bad. It's kind of an empty feeling that only seems to get worse as the door closes behind Roman.

Limply, I go into my room, not really processing what I was doing. I grab a pen off the desk and jam it into one of the little blue lights on the cuff. After wiggling it around for a second, it unlocks. No one else knew, but I had figured out how to open it a while ago, I just didn't want to go back to the suspicious stares from Logan and Roman so I kept it on. Chances are, Logan wouldn't tell me about the actual key until they trust me, which will be never. I pull on my antigrav boots, getting ready to leave through the window since people are the worst and I didn't want to accidentally run into Roman on the way down, or up if I decided to run along the rooftops. 

I walk aimlessly through the city, stopping for a minute on a random roof, admiring the view. Once the cityscape becomes too intimidating, I walk down the side of the building to the alley below, figuring that I should probably go home.

"Anx!" A too-loud, too-familiar voice calls from off to the side.

Reluctantly, I turn towards it, "Duke, Deceit."

"Aww, you're really calling us by our villain names, that hurts," Duke says dramatically putting a hand to his chest.

Not like you guys ever call me by my actual name. I sigh, really not wanting to deal with this, "What do you want?"

"Well, as much as we totally enjoyed going all the way to Lakepoint, we aren't mad," Deceit says, "That being said, it'd be in your best interest to help us out a bit," Before I can even ask what the heck he means, he holds up a couple papers. The blueprints to the contingency plans I created against Princey, Popstar, and Delta, "You happened to leave these behind and normally I'd have no problem building these on my own, but I can't for the life of me read them," Makes sense, seeing as I wrote it in a made-up language that only I know.

"And you want me to translate them," I reply, already knowing what he was getting at.

He raises an eyebrow, "You're smarter than you look," He says in his signature appraising, but actually condescending tone.

He walks up to me, trying and succeeding to look intimidating, "I'm not gonna translate it," I tell him in a moment of bravery, or stupidity depending on how you look at it. Despite my weird feeling, I'm not gonna go back to helping these two. 

"I don't think I was clear before, you're going to translate these plans," He says forcefully, his eyes glowing yellow.

Oh right, he's a mind controller, look away look away but actually don't. I can use that as a distraction since he doesn't notice me grab onto the papers with the contingency plans. I tear my hand away from him, ripping the plans in half and looking away before knocking them both off their feet with a small earthquake. I run out into the street, hoping that they would be smart enough to avoid causing a scene.

"ANX!!!" One, or maybe both of them yell after me.

After running around the city to a paranoid extent, I figured that I had lost them. Duke was never one for subtlety so I was probably right. I finally climb back through the window to my room. I put the cuff back on, just to be safe and leave the blueprints on the desk. I flop down onto the bed, not even bothering to take off my boots and end up laying face down feeling like an actual potato.

- - -

"I'm back!!!" A flamboyant voice calls. At some point I had rolled over onto my side, facing the wall and I couldn't find the motivation to answer him, "Virge?" I hear him knock on the door to my room, but my voice is still nowhere to be found.

After a few seconds without receiving an answer he slowly opens the door. I still don't respond, just waiting for him to leave. Considering the fact that I'm laying in bed, in a completely dark room, not moving, I think he assumes I'm asleep and he softly shuts the door. I swear I hear him whisper 'goodnight' before he leaves. I feel my face heat up at this and realize,

I've got a crush.

A/N: I would apologize but hey at least we got Remy making an appearance!