Chapter 5

Roman's POV

"This just in, we have reports of the supervillain group known as the Darksides are staging another attack against the city," A generic news reporter reads from her teleprompt, "Just minutes ago, a bomb was reported to go off inside a large office building downtown." 

Footage starts rolling of a large building with smoke coming out of it. The camera angle switches to the ground, where people are rushing out of the building, most look uninjured so that's good. The news report continues on with the generic, "Where are our heroes?" routine. Me and Logan, quickly looked at each other, then at Patton who had been taking orders. He quickly excuses himself, though none of his employees can really complain since he runs the place, and head to the nearest bathroom at the building next door to change into our superhero suits. My red and white "princely" costume is definitely the most elegant of the three, with a red mask to cover the majority of my beautiful face. It truly is a shame that I want to protect those closest to me. Patton's costume is a very mis-matched light blue and grey mess, with his glasses awkwardly sticking out beneath his mask. Logan's suit is basically what you'd expect a warlock from medieval times to wear, minus the hat. Instead of his normal glasses, he has these "high-tech" glasses-type things with blue lenses. 

"Where exactly was the attack happening?" I ask once we're outside.

Logan leads the way, "It's at Szell Enterprises, the attack location appears to be random though," He reasons. 

"Random?" Patton asks, flying casually next to us while we're stuck running. 

"Deceit may be smart, but I believe his overall goal is to prove some kind of point against mankind as a whole, not a specific company or group," He explains, stopping suddenly. I'm about to ask why when I turn to follow his gaze; Szell Enterprises. At least I didn't have to get all hot and sweaty by running across the city, a Prince has got to slay after all. 

"What's the play, specs?" I ask, knowing he'll only scold me if I rush in powers blazing. Another Logan lecture is not on my schedule. 

"Patton, you're on civilian safety duty, evacuate the building and fly out the people that can't make it on their own, check the upper floors first. I'll be assessing the damage to the building, in case the integrity of the building has been compromised. Roman, I need you to find the Darksides since I highly doubt that they'd be in the skyscraper they attacked," Logan takes off to talk with the first responders, and Patton flies up into the building.

Deceit is the type of person that likes to take credit for his attacks, so he's probably still around here...probably. I ran up to the roof of a shorter apartment building using the fire escape, hoping to get a better view. I see movement on the building across the street, and basically jump off the one I was already on to get there faster, also deciding to use the fire escape so I don't have to shove through a bunch of stuffy office workers. 

"Found 'em," I report, turning on my com link that Logan built us. 

"Good, do not engage until Popstar or I arrive to assist you though. Three on one are not good odds even with your super strength and quite literal, fire power," Logan points out robotically, using Patton's superhero name instead because 'we can't have anyone find out our identities.'

I risk a peak onto the roof to confirm my suspicions, "Actually Delta, it's only Deceit and Duke, I don't see Anxiety anywhere."

"That can't be good," He mumbles, more to himself than us.

"Maybe he's on vacation?" Patton suggests hopefully through the com.

Logan, like usual, is quick to counter, "Or he's waiting somewhere else to cause more damage, perhaps trying to use his tectonic plate manipulation to completely collapse the building?" Patton goes silent, Logan can be pretty harsh when he shares his theories.

"I don't know, usually they only separate to steal something, and this is a pretty extra distraction, even for them," I say. Something just feels off about it all, any time Anxiety isn't with them, he's out on some heist while the others are distracting us somewhere else.

"Everyone's out already, so I'll come over and help you, Ro," Patton says through the com.

"Okay, I'm on the fire escape," I respond, ignoring Logan's complaints about Pat using my actual name. A few seconds later, Patton lands next to me loudly, startling Deceit and Duke. "So much for the element of surprise," I mumble as I run up the remaining steps to the roof, Patton taking a shortcut by flying up.

Deceit curses as we make ourselves visible. I notice a bruise forming on his cheek, I wonder where he got that. He quickly grabs Duke's hand and they disappear. "Dang," Patton comments.

"Dang is right," I respond, disappointed that they got away that fast.

"We'll catch 'em someday, let's go find Logan," Patton says, patting my shoulder reassuringly.

Logan is waiting near the skyscraper, "-Base is stable, the only worry would be that the 57th floor collapses, and possibly causes a chain reaction," He wraps up his conversation with the officer when he sees us, "I take it Deceit and the Duke escaped?"

"Thank you, Captain Obvious," I respond, still salty about them getting away for what must be the millionth time.

"Whaddya say we go home and order pizza or something?" Patton suggests.

"Don't," I say, putting a finger to Logan's mouth before he can correct Patton's grammar. Instead, he glares at me silently, but Patton looks happy. After changing back into civilian clothes, we go back to our apartment.

Patton orders the pizza while me and Logan argue over what movie to put on. Like normal, Patton breaks up the argument by voting for Logan's movie choice, Big Hero 6. At least it's Disney.