| Twelve

EMERY WALKS into the mall, May just at her side. Already, the blinding lights give her a headache. She wants to turn around and run home, but she promised to shop with her.

Not that she needs a dress, she's not going with anybody.

They walk into every clothing store they cross, Emery letting May wander and try on hundreds of dresses. Emery simply looks through the racks lazily.

"Are you going to pick one?" May comes up behind her, fresh out of the dressing room.

"I'm not going, May." Emery shakes her head.

May furrows her brows. "Yes you are. With Harven." She puts her unwanted choices back on the rack.

"No way. They play gross slow songs and I'll have to dance with him. It'll probably be over by then anyways." Emery says.

"It's just pretend, you should be fine with dancing." May says flatly.

Emery thinks about it.

"One last thing before you guys end it and hate each other again." May shrugs.

"Don't be fooled, we still hate each other very much." Emery assures.

"Yeah right. You're getting used to him."

"I've been forced to spend time with him." Emery protests.

May scoffs, continuing to sift through the different fabrics. Emery eventually wonders off to look at the sweaters. She's marveling over the fantastic fabrics and polyester, when May comes into place beside her.

"What are you doing, Emery? We're supposed to be looking at dresses." May says disappointedly.

"But look at them!" Emery continues to rub each sweater.

May grave Emery's arm, pulling her out of the store, while Emery struggles to go back.

"Hey!"

______________

Emery sits at her desk, looking through textbooks and writing in her journal. She makes sure to her as much done as she can right now, as her parents are not here. It's peaceful and quiet.

There are tiny knocks at her window, which sound like pebbles. She furrows her brows, getting up to inspect.

Harven's leaning out his window, pebbles in hand. Emery groans, opening the window.

"Yeah, Harven?" She sighs.

He grins. "You know we're going to the dance together, right?" He asks.

Her brows draw together. "Um? No." She responds, already having made up her mind that she would not go to the dance.

"Emery, we need to go to a dance together. What kind of couple are we?" He asks.

"No kind at all. We are allies. I just don't want to go." She shrugs. He stares at her until she blinks away.

"Why?" He narrows his eyes.

"I don't know. A lot of people that don't like me." She says, referring to a certain, very angry blonde.

"Okay." He closes his window abruptly. Emery's left confused, and slowly closes her own window.

She hears a ding on her phone, which is a rare occurrence. She picks it up, seeing the notifications on the screen. It's from an unknown number.

She clicks on it, opening the message:

Hey, Emery. It Kade :)

She smiles, though still very puzzled. She responds quickly:

How did you get my number? STALKER

Emery gets back to her homework, less focused now and waiting on a response. She grabs it as soon as it sings again:

NOO Harven give it to me. I hope that's okay.

Wow, she thinks, he did something that I'm not totally mad about.

She responds with:

It's alright :))

He asks her if she's going to the fall dance.

Nooooo she responds.

Too bad.

Emery throws her phone across the room. Whatever he might've been saying "too bad" for, she doesn't want to know. She returns to her homework, working vigorously, phone still on the floor.

Nobody will convince her to go to that stupid dance.

Not even Kade's very nice face.