| Nineteen

ON SUNDAY Emery has a quiet day, reading here and there, sometimes fitting some homework in. She thinks she deserves to chill after yesterday's hectic events.

While looking through a textbook, she gets a text message on her phone. She sets the book down, and picks it up. Kade's names is at the top and the message reads:

Hey! Would you maybe wanna go somewhere with me today?

Emery immediately has a confused look. She doesn't want to take this the wrong way and is flustered at his question. She responds:

Like... a date? Totally fine if it's not!

Right smarter she sends it, she realizes how dumb that sounded. His next message:

Yes actually. A date.

She smiles softly, knowing she hasn't been on a real date in a long time. Ethan was never really one for dates.

Her other thought is that Kade might actually like her, which is like a little conflicting for Emery. She thinks she may like him? He's sweet and funny, so every sign point to going for it.

Still, she's hesitant about it all. But an innocent date couldn't hurt.

Of course! What time?

After telling her he will pick her up at 4:00, she sends him her address. She can't believe she's having a real date, with a boy that actually likes her.

The nervousness hits, and she begins digging through her closet, searching for something casual, but not too casual.

Around 3:30, Emery has come to the decision of wearing a fitted white t-shirt with a jean skirt. She layers gold jewelry atop the shirt to flare it up a little. She ties her hair back with an ivory bow. Of course, she puts on her regular white converses.

There's a knock on her door, which means he is already here. She hurries down to get it before he waited too long.

He's wearing a burnt orange t-shirt paired with a jean jacket. His pants are also blue jean. She smiles up at him, and he returns it, assessing her outfit.

"You look..." He starts, but is unable to find the right words.

She widen her eyes. "Okay, okay. Lets go." She pushes him outside towards his car.

When they get close to his car, she sees her neighbor taking out his trash. When Harven notices her, he gives a confused look and a glance at the other boy.

Emery shakes her head and swats him away. He puts his hands up in a surrendering gesture.

"I'm glad you agreed to come with me. I wanna get to know you, Emery." Kade says as he keeps his eyes on the road, smiling.

Emery glances over. "Me too." She smiles, and finds it an inappropriate time to laugh. She finds it funny that this feels like cheating on Harven.

But it's not, obviously.

They arrive at a park, and Kade leads her to a table with benches. He pulls out a picnic basket, and proceeds to take out various sandwiches and fruits.

"This is sweet." Emery smiles at him. She's overwhelmed with the amount of delicious food, having a hard time picking what she wants.

"I was hoping you liked it. And that you're not allergic to anything." He chuckles. She smiles softly.

"Only pickles." She shrugs. He gives her an incredulous look.

"You're allergic to pickles? I feel so bad for you..." He shakes his head sadly.

"Eh... when I tasted them for the first time, they weren't that good. Of course, I went into anaphylactic shock after that, but still." She laughs quietly.

"Well, put your epipen away, the sandwiches don't have pickles." He hands her one.

"Thank goodness, I really wanted this sandwich." She nods enthusiastically. He gives her a sly look.

They eat and joke around, talking about school sometimes. Emery enjoys her time with Kade, it's peaceful and light. Still, she wonders why he's doing all of this.

"You know I'm dating Harven, right?" She cocks her head, seeing how he might react.

"Are you, though?" He asks.

A slow smile grows on her face and she shakes her head, deciding she might as well tell him.

"No, but I could've been and you still took my on a date." She says.

"Well, I like you," he says, "And it just seemed too unlikely." He grins. She shakes her head at him, wondering how he takes so many risks. Yes, to her, that was considered a risk.

"Well, I'm being a very bad fake girlfriend." Emery turns back to her food.

"I'm not complaining." He shrugs. She rolls her eyes like of course. They eat quietly the rest of their time, packing up and returning to the car about an hour later.

When they reach Emery's door, she smiles and he begins to lean in.

"Sorry!" She backs away abruptly. He raises his brows.

She doesn't even know why she did that. "I can't, sorry. I don't know, it's just..." She explains awkwardly. He shakes his head.

"No that's totally fine. It's all the same, kissing or not." He smiles.

She grins thankfully. "Thank you for understanding. I do really like you, though." She looks away, blushing. He laughs.

"I'm satisfied with that. See you later." He smiles, turning around and leaving Emery to smack her head at her awkwardness. She's okay with herself not being ready to kiss him yet.

Emery has a hard time sharing herself with anybody. It's a rare occurrence that she lets people see or know all of her right away. Her kisses are special to her, because it is such an intimate and vulnerable moment.

Emery is not the most intimate or vulnerable person.

She steps inside her house, ready to be alone for the rest of the day.

And, unseen and peaking out of a window, Harven is smiling,

Smiling,

Smiling.