| Fourteen

EMERY WALKS down the hall earning glances and weird stares as she passes. Emery keeps her head down, confused about the attention.

They don't stop, and when she reaches her locker, there's a group of girls whispering and shaking their head at something on their phone.

"What is it?" Emery asks them, trying to look over their shoulders. They turn around, looking at her before shoving the phone forward.

Her breath catches and what she sees leaves her speechless. It's a nude with her face obviously edited on. Her lips part, and she looks away.

"Where is this from?" She asks shakily.

The girl takes a look at the photo. "Um shared by "Harven<33?" She shrugs.

Emery stands stunned and close to tears, surprised that she's surprised. She swallows, and hurries down the hall, as people laugh and whisper.

Harven catches sight of her when she turns down an empty hall.

"Emery." He says.

She stops, breathing slowly. Emery turns around.

Harven stops short when he sees the tears streaming down her face.

"What is wrong with you?" She spits, shaking her head.

He widen his eyes. "What do you mean?" He asks, confused.

"The pictures, Harven. You took it too far." She sniffled. She feels pathetic for ever even agreeing to do anything for him. It gave him the perfect time to catch her unexpected.

"I don't know what you're talking about. What pictures?" He furrows his brows. He sags his shoulders, genuinely confused.

She scoffs. "Just-shut up! You're a liar and whatever we were doing is done. I want you to leave me alone." She nods, turning around and heading towards the front of the school.

"What pictures, Emery?" He shouts.

"Ask anyone, Harven." She finishes, rubbing her nose with her sleeve. Whatever trust she began to have for him, is gone. It'll be a miracle if she gets that scholarship now.

________________

Later on, Emery lays in her bed, trying to get the horrible image out of her head. She's embarrassed and feels exposed, though the pictures weren't even her.

Harven really gave up the childish pranks.

Her mom comes in, and Emery only lazily moves her head to look. Her mom sits on the mattress and lightly moves some of Emery's hair from her face.

"If you've come to tell me you're getting a divorce, save it for tomorrow." Emery said flatly, looking at the wall.

"No that's not what I've come to say. I came to ask what's happened?" Her mom's eyes go soft.

"Something very bad. I should've expected it." Emery says, shaking her head. She wonders how she could've been so dumb.

"I'm sorry, Ems." Her mom strokes her tear stained cheek. Emery moves away, not wanting her mother's pity affection. Where was she before?

"Do you want to talk about it?" Her mom talks to her back.

"No." Emery finishes. She hears the open and close of her door, telling her that she's slipped out. She wonders if May will even believe that it's not her.

She scolds herself, knowing that May is her best friend and is always there for her. Though, for some reason, she doubts herself now.

An hour after school is out, May rushes over to Emery's house. When she sees Emery's crumpled form on the bed, she comes to sit with her.

"Oh Emery." She sighs. May rubs her back, leaning her cheek on Emery's arm.

"Harven did this." Emery grumbles.

May furrows her brows. "Are you sure?" She asks, seeing before how much they were actually warming up each other.

"The only thing I'm sure of." Emery pull the covers up to her face, hiding everything but her disheveled hair.

______________

Later in the night, Emery thinks she may be able to lift her mood with some playing. But she finds herself too sad and tired to even pick up the violin.

She's mentally and physically exhausted.

So is her heart, in its own way.