| Thirty-one

HER EYES slowly adjust to the bright hospital lights, that she's always hated. The blinding white lights make it hard for her to wake all the way up.

Being able to see most of the room now, she looks down to where Harven rests his head on the side of the bed. She runs a hand lightly through his midnight hair, careful not to wake him.

When she looks up, her mom is sitting in the chair, amused. Emery parts her lips and widens her eyes in embarrassment. Her mom chuckles lightly to herself.

"What were you doing out without your epipen?" Her mom whisper-shouts. Emery holds a finger to her lips, pointing at Harven's sleeping form.

"I didn't think they would mess up my order." She murmurs in her raspy voice.

"It's good that Harven got you here quick. We were both so worried." Her mom shakes her head, coming over to gently rub Emery's forehead.

"He took me to an aquarium, mom," Emery gets excited, remembering their walk through the big building and all the fishes, "but he said I looked like the blob fish." She pouts.

Her mom laughs. "You two never seemed to be friends. I had to beg you to hang out with him."

Emery reddens. "We weren't at all actually. But, I guess he warmed up to me. We're not dating though, don't be weird mom." Emery warns.

Her mom holds her hands up in surrender, chuckling.

"Okay, okay. He was really worried though, it was sweet to witness." Her mom looks away.

Emery stares down at his sleepy face. "Hm." She smiles softly. Her mom gives her a quick kiss on the cheek, and leaves the room. Emery lets him sleep for another thirty minutes, before he wakes up on his own, purring at her fingers in his hair.

"Oh Jesus," he breathes, "You're okay." He assures himself, rubbing her cheek lightly.

"It was just a prank." She says sarcastically, giving him a knowing look. She stops smiling at the serious look on his face.

"You scared me, Emery." He sighs.

"I mean, I'm not dead, jeez." She huffs. He laughs defeatedly, shaking his head. He presses soft kisses across her entire face from her cheeks to her chin.

"Harven!" She laughs, trying to get away. He sits back on his chair.

"Good, you're still here." He smiles, satisfied.

"You're ridiculous."

_____________

Harven helps her home, as she's still feeling a bit weak. He helps Emery into her bed, bringing the covers up and over her body. She likes it here much more than the hospital.

"I'm sorry I ruined our date." Emery frowns, looking over to Harven, who sits by her legs at the end of the bed. He shakes his head, smiling.

"You didn't ruin it. That idiot worker did." He rolls his eyes. Emery laughs at his anger.

"Plus, there's still something I can ask you." Harven looks at his hands, shuffling his feet on the floor.

"Yes?" Emery asks, confused.

"Do you want to be with me?" He asks. It's so raw and he's opening himself up completely in this moment. Showing her that this isn't some elaborate prank. That this is the realest thing he's ever felt.

Emery swallows, feeling like there's something she has to do first.

"Apologize first."

"What?" He furrows his brows.

"Apologize for stealing my first ever soccer ball when we were seven years old and putting it in your window to taunt me." She crosses her arms.

He smiles, "And then you will say yes?" He quirks an eyebrow.

"Perhaps."

He leans closer to her. "Emery Leighton, I sincerely apologize for stealing your precious ball ten years ago. I was very mean to you and I'm sorry." He grins.

She raises her eyebrows. "Harven Aller does have a heart."

"Yep, just for you." He smirks. He catches her lips softly, entangling his hands in her hair. For Emery, nothing has ever seemed more real than this moment.