| Thirty-six

EMERY AND May get ready for prom in her room, painting toes and getting their dresses on.

"I can't believe you're going to prom with Harven Aller." May shakes her head, chuckling, as she slips her red, satin dress over her body.

"Me neither." Emery smiles, working on braiding her hair back. She sticks some artificial flowers into her braid, to match her dress.

"You know, now that I think about it, I'm glad you found Tate. He seems really good for you." Emery smiles at her friend.

"He's my love." May looks off, thinking about the quiet boy. Emery laughs at her whipped friend.

Emery clasps her treasured heart locket around her neck, feeling warm when she wears it. She slips on her nude heels to finish off her look. She wonders what Harven is wearing.

Emery styles May's hair for her, as she always does. She curls it beautifully, setting a ruby clip in the side to match her dress. May works her magic of both of their faces. Emery gave in and wore some makeup for her prom night.

They hear the simultaneous knocks on her door, and head carefully down the stairs in their heels. Emery takes a breath before opening the door, seeing a very handsome Harven and Tate.

Harven gives Emery a slow once over, being left speechless. Harven wears a black suit with a dusty blue tie.

"How'd you match your tie?" Emery gasps, smiling a the small detail that matches her dress.

"May told me the color." He smiles, shrugging. Tate and May have already gone off to marvel over each other elsewhere.

"You look beautiful, Emery." He steps closer, still assessing her body. He reaches her, and plants a soft kiss on her cheek.

"You don't look too bad, either." She grins. He smirks, and his slight dimple shows. She kisses it.

"And you were so mad when we matched last time." He rolled his eyes, remembering that time. She laughs at her past self, which seems so long ago.

"I actually got you one of those flower things." He pulls the box out of his suit jacket.

"A corsage?" She laughs at his cluelessness.

"Potato, pototo." He rolls his eyes playfully. He pulls out the beautiful corsage, which is decorated with pink and blue flowers, with short, white ribbons.

"It's lovely." Emery stares at it, and Harven slips it onto her wrist.

"Thank you." She she smiles softly.

"Anything." He gives her a light kiss on her soft lips.

"Shall we?" He holds his hand out for her to take.

She does. "We shall."

Emery laughs when she hears her mom yell "Send me pictures!" As they head out the door.

_______________

They arrive at the school, and head to the gymnasium. When they enter, there are colorful flashing lights and loud music. Emery spots the long food table near the wall. Most people are dancing to the upbeat music.

May says her and Tate are going to head over to the food, and Emery hugs her.

"I'm happy for you, May." She whispers in her ear.

"I'm happy for you, too." May smiles, heading off in the opposite direction. Emery spots Ethan on the other side, and tell Harven she'll be back. He furrows his brows but nods.

She walks across the linoleum floors, her heels clicking softly. She smiles at Ethan when he sees her.

"Hey." She says.

He smiles sadly. "Hey, Emery. I'm surprised you're even talking to me." He scratches the back of his head.

"I'm happy to put everything in the past. I forgive you and Lana." She nods.

"You shouldn't." He breathes.

"I feel like I need to. I'm happy now, and I don't want you to feel like I hate you. It's old news." She waves her hand.

"You're too kind, Emery. I don't deserve this, but you continue to forgive." He shakes his head in disbelief.

She embraces him. "I'm sorry. Truly." He whispers. She pats his shoulder.

"It's okay. Really." She smiles, happy to put away all of the bad blood with Ethan. He was kind to her, she has no reason to still be angry.

She waves, and head over to where Kade stands. He smiles and gives her a hug.

"Hey, Emery. How's it going with Harven?" He asks. She glances over to where he talks with some other guys.

"He's a handful, but other than that, really good." She smiles softly, happy that even after everything, they can still talk like this.

"Anybody in your life?" Emery asks. She can see his cheeks tiny slightly, as he nods over to a girl Emery knows from science. She smiles knowingly.

"I hope it goes well for you." She chuckles.

"Me too. I'll see you around, yeah?" Kade says, and Emery nods, heading over to a group of girls. Lana turns around when she sees her.

"Oh, look it's my friend, Emily." Lana says, and Emery doesn't even bother to correct her on the name. She can be Emily for a few minutes.

Emery asks Lana how she is and Lana immediately brightens.

"My daddy just bought me a Rolls Royce! It has a pink fluffy cover for the wheel!" She laughs. Emery nods, happy for her. A slow song begins playing and Emery starts heading away.

"Okay, Bye Emily!" Lana says, and Emery waves goodbye to her newfound friend. Emery quickly finds Harven again, heading towards her.

"May I have this dance?" He holds out a hand. Emery nods, taking it gently. They close up, so they're as close as possible, moving to the soft music.

"This reminds me of when I prepared the homemade dance for you." Harven gazes into her eyes. Emery laughs at the memory, and Harven moves closer so their cheeks are almost touching.

"And then made me help you move your heavy couch back?" Emery smirks, and Harven scoffs.

He sighs. "I want you forever."

"You can have me forever." She smiles softly.

He backs up so his oceans can meet her honey eyes. They look at each other with stares that scream everything they could never describe. They are vulnerable like this only for each other.

"To think, this was only supposed to be temporary." He smirks.

"Yeah," She grins, "But I'm glad it wasn't."