XXVIII

The next morning everything started out great. Skylar was no longer feeling like crap, she didn't have nausea or anything and actually felt very energized. Sadly, that lasted about for thirty minutes or so, and as she was getting ready for work in the bathroom she suddenly felt very hot.

There was a tingling sensation in her stomach. It was burning and she felt it coming up. " Oh, god, no," she mumbled and ran to the toilet and started throwing up again. Once she was done she sat on the floor, grabbed a towel, and wiped her sweat. 

After that, she got up and washed her face with cold water. Something was definitely up. With a sigh, she made her way to the kitchen. Alfred and Bruce were in the kitchen when she arrived. " Good morning Alfred," she greeted him.

" Good morning Miss Jones," he said as he handed Skylar her coffee. She mouthed a quick thanks and sat down on the table and turned to Bruce. " I threw up again," she said. Bruce's face immediately hardened. "Are you alright?" he asked. She shook her head. " I don't know, I think I need to go see the doctor," she said.

Last time when she got like this, it was due to her allergies, Bruce had found this doctor who helped a lot. " I'll call Dr.Smith for an appointment right away," Alfred said after sharing a quick glance with Bruce and then he walked out.

" What have you eaten recently?" he asked softly. She shrugged. " Um, four days ago I ordered sushi from the corner, the next day James, Mary, and I went to the pizza place on the fifth for lunch, and yesterday I had some special salad," she replied. 

He tilted his head. " Hm," he breathed out, " Could be any of them," he said. " I know," Skylar sighed. Bruce put his hand over Skylar's. " Don't worry, I'm sure Dr.Smith will solve whatever problem you have," he said.

" I know, but this couldn't come up at a worse time, I mean, aside from all the Leauge business I'm really stressed about work. I've heard that there might be two new positions opening up, and I know we can't talk about it cause then it would be compromised, but I really want to know if I'll get promoted to them or keep being an intern. There are eight of us and only two positions, it's a twenty-five percent chance," 

Bruce laid back on his chair. " Maybe it's due to you under being stress," he offered. She shrugged. " Maybe, I don't know, everyone's under stress," she replied. Bruce lightly squeezed her hand. " True, but we both know you have a habit of overcompensating," 

Skylar gave him a quick glare but smiled soon after. " Hey, no need to call me out buddy," she shot. He chuckled. " Sorry," he mumbled. Right then Alfred walked back inside. " Your appointment has been made for 10 AM," he announced.

She didn't feel the need to ask 'today?' because she already knew. When Bruce Wayne called, or someone on behalf of him called, you always said yes. So she wasn't surprised. " Alright, thanks Alfred," she said then turned to Bruce again. " I'll give Gavin a call and tell him I'll come in late," she said.

After that she phoned Gavin. She wasn't scared of waking him up, he must've been up, he had transformed into an early bird in the last year. " Good morning fugitive," he answered the phone. Skylar chuckled. " Good morning to you too boss, how are you?" she asked.

" I'm good, how are you?" he asked back. " Eh, not so good actually," she replied. " What? Is everything alright?" his tone had changed instantly. Skylar chewed on her bottom lip, for some unknown reason she was always uncomfortable making these kinds of calls. 

She sighed. " I don't know, I've been feeling sickly, I have a doctor's appointment today at 10, I'll probably be at the office by 11, just wanted to let you know," she explained. " Hmm, is that why you left early yesterday as well?" he asked. " Sure," Skylar lied, it was a good cover-up.