CHAPTER 33

Year 2020

CORA'S POV

“Good morning, Ma'am.”

Everyone greeted me politely as I am heading through the meeting hall with my secretary and other Board of Directors for the board meeting.

I am the Chairman and the CEO of this subsidiary company of my Papa's Parent Company in the Philippines. This is actually his eighteenth birthday gift for me, but since I followed my own decision at that time, he let his cousin manage it for the meantime. But now, I'm finally here in Canada, running this shoe company. Papa was really so happy when I began working here two years ago and that made me feel glad as well.

“Good morning,” I greeted everyone before I sat down. After reviewing and approving the board minutes of previous meetings, we finally get to new business.

“I am filled with awe by your amazing dedication in managing this business, Miss Peters. Since you manage the overall operations and resources of PRS Company, we never experience any plummet,” Mr. Smith said, member of the Board.

“Sales are really good, Miss Peters, compare it to the graph two years ago, today, it goes higher and higher,” said Mrs. Tremblay with a smile beaming on her face.

Mr. Wilson raised his head with pure satisfaction gleaming in his eyes. “Revenues and expenditures for this year are good, customer satisfaction as well,” he said.

“Well, it's because you've been with me all throughout those two years. I won't make this company grow bigger without your support and suggestions. I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for all you've done for this company.” I extended my gratitude and sincerity is visible in my eyes. They all smiled at me indulgently.

“So, where we should highly focus our attention now?” Mrs. Williams asked.

“Let's remain attentive to the ongoing research and development, especially the marketing projects,” I replied.

“Yes, Miss Peters,” they all said in unison.

We ended the meeting after an hour. I went straight to my office, open my laptop, and have a video call with my sisters. Nakaugalian ko na rin ito kaya parang walang araw na hindi kami nag-uusap. 

“So, how's the meeting?” Tanya asked.

“It went well,” I replied and sat down on my swivel chair right after I've done opening the curtains.

The view outside the windows was the usual big city scene. There are tall buildings, streets, traffic, and people crowding in every direction. But what I love the most is watching his face hovering up on a huge billboard across my office. He's now so successful!

Lexter Jared Asuncion, the Filipino CEO of Kōbashī Company, one of the largest food industries in Japan with hundreds of franchises in different countries.

Five years had passed, but I've never seen him again. Okay pa naman kami simula nang umalis siya ng Pilipinas at pumunta ng Japan. We communicate every single day, but after several months, we both get busier than usual, and that leads us to the decision of splitting up.

It wasn't easy at the beginning, I was regretful, but it wasn't the painful breakup I've ever had. Kinakailangan kasi namin iyong gawin para sa mga pangarap namin. And, after all, if we're meant to be, our ties will surely get connected again someday.