1: PROLOGUE

Author's Note:

This is inspired by the songs "Love The Way You Lie," by Eminem & Rhianna and "Love The Way You Lie Pt. 2," by Rhianna ft. Eminem, and "Love The Way You Lie Pt. 3," by Skylar Grey.

(Lyrics quoted at the bottom, found from off of the internet. These are really powerful songs that I really do enjoy listening to, despite their challenging content.)

The work is inspired by other stories of a similar nature which I love. "Black and Blue and a Little Bit Broken," and "Christmas Lights," and "Be Calm," by Alice Sloane13. "Meredith's Secret," by itslexipedia on Wattpad and BreakingJade on Fanfiction. "In Memory Of Me," and "How To Make Friends With The Dark," by TheQueenOfPassiveAggressiva on Fanfiction.

This is also a sort-of extension on some of my own works that always seem to have a bit of a hurt-comfort dynamic, primarily "Soothe," where I wrote one chapter that seemed to be really popular so I wanted to expand on the concept here.

This story will be heavy. It is not for the faint of heart.

I hope to do this story justice but I am still learning as a writer. All feedback is welcome and I value it.

This fic is written in the second-person, from Addison Montgomery's perspective.

I hope you will enjoy it nonetheless.

bobbiejelly

CONTENT WARNINGS TO FOLLOW:

READ IF YOU WOULD LIKE A HEADS UP FIRST, OR:

AT YOUR OWN RISK, SKIP TO THE TITLE CARD IF YOU DO NOT WANT SPOILERS.

This first chapter has mentions of marital violence between Addison's parents, which the kids get caught up in on occasion. It is not full-on child abuse, but it's not a healthy childhood environment, either.

As for the rest of the story: It will contain (Between Derek/Addison, and later Derek/Meredith), domestic violence, emotionally abusive, unhealthy, and deeply dysfunctional relationships. It will likely be long and slow, and it will get worse long before it gets better.

This story will contain graphic and consensual female-female sex. It will also contain consensual male-male gay sex. It also will contain consensual straight female-male sex.

*While the sex between Addison and the AU-Abusive Derek Shepherd will be 'consensual', I recognize there is a limit to how 'consensual' sex can be in an abusive relationship. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not writing about sexual abuse and/or rape, per se, Addison asks him for sex, or he does and she wants him, and it's an unhealthy dynamic because of what he does and the circumstances, but in this AU I guess I'm not writing that he's forcing himself upon her while she is saying no. That's where I draw my line in what I am comfortable with. This has been altered from my previous content warning, upon the guidance of reader feedback - thanks!

If new content warnings come up they will be listed at the top of the chapter.

Always feel free to take a breath or skip parts of it is too much for you. I don't want to give it all away before it happens, but I want you to know what you are reading, here.

I would also like to state that this is not a story I am writing out of personal experience (thank goodness!), this is not me expressing my own life through a story in any way or of someone I know personally. It is entirely fictional, based on other stories I have read and based on research on this topic. This is not me crying for help, but thank you for your hypothetical concern.

I will say up front that I will not commit to being a support person in crisis for a reader of this story over the internet. If you choose to share your own story with me over these story-sharing platforms that is up to you, but I will immediately redirect you to seek professional support for your region.