Little Soldier Boy

Little Soldier Boy
~

When we were leaving the market I noticed guys and girls looking at my outfit. Thanks Katara. I rolled my eyes as I thanked her in my head.

Once we got to the camp they started packing up everything. I took my sleeves off and studied my bruises. I guess Sokka noticed because when I looked up he quickly looked away from my gaze and put the cuffs in a bag then threw the bag on the saddle.

I smiled to myself as I helped pick up the last few things.

Once we were on the saddle I took of my boots leaving me in knee socks. The heels can get aggravating. I still wonder where Katara got this outfit from.

"Oh my god. I'm so tired." I whined as I laid on my stomach. Winning a few laughs.

"Do you think Appa ever gets tired of flying." Oh lord. For the past week I've had to listen to Sokka's questions that he ask when he gets bored. Yep he's been saying them ever since I've been with them.

We all groaned and I face palmed my forehead in annoyance. "Probably gets tired of you." Katara laughed and Aang just smiled.

Momo even made a little annoyed chitter at Sokka. "Ok Momo we get it." Sokka crosses his arms and looked off to the side.

"Awwwww poor baby." I made little puppy dog eyes at him and leaned to where I was a like four inches away from the back of his head since he was looking off. He turned his head and once he realized how close I was I think I scared him a bit.

Moving away I plopped down beside him.

And lemme tell you his face looked like I set on fire. Ignoring him I leaned back so my head was resting on a sleeping bag but the side of my body was against him.

Being me (this is something I would actually do) I flipped over on my stomach and scooted down some. My arms were around the sleeping bag and head was facing the opposite direction of where Sokka was right beside me. Aang was on Appa's head and Katara was on the other end of the saddle.

"Play with my hair." In all honesty it was entertaining because I knew Sokka's face was bright red. He gets flustered way to easily.

Following my order I felt his hands slowly untie my hair and and he started running his fingers threw it. My mom, Atzi, would play with my hair to put me asleep or calm me down. God I miss them.

"Aw look at Sokka being a whole gentlemen." Katara teased and I thought Sokka would be embarrassed then pull away...but he didn't.

"Shhh don't be so loud." Sokka can act so innocent that it's cute. I smiled to myself. He knew that I wasn't asleep. I know he did.

(This is the song Iroh sung in season 2 episode 15: tales of Ba sing Se)

"🎶 Leaves from the vine
Falling so slow
Like fragile tiny shells
Drifting in the foam
Little soldier boy
Come marching home
Brave soldier boy
Comes marching home

Those leaves did grow
From branches overgrown
Drifting slowly down
Resting on the loam
Little soldier boy
Taken from home
Forced to fight a war
That's not his own

Leaves from the vine
Falling so slow
Like fragile tiny shells
Drifting in the foam
Little soldier boy says
"Carry me home"
Sleeping soldier boy
Is carried home🎶"

I think we were all crying a little bit by that song. Once I had finished I could feel the sorrow in the atmosphere. We were fighting a war.

Sokka had stopped playing with my hair. He didn't move his hand tho. He kept his hand in my hair before I moved. Sitting up I faced the group who's dropped heads were lifted to look at me.

"I need to say something. If you gonna except me into your group I need to know. If not then you should drop me off somewhere. I'm completely prepared to be all in on team avatar." I smiled and heard a short giggle from the group about me using the 'team name'. "I know we got off to a rocky start. I'm not going to apologize for it though. I had to. I didn't have a choice. And I am a fire nation fire bender which you guys will have to accept. That is if your willing to accept me."

I played my fingers as I waited for a response

"I like having you around. I want you to be in our group. That being said I think it may take some time for us to trust each other." I knew what Aang said was true.

To my surprise Katara leaped forward and hugged me really tight. When she pulled back everyone was smiling again.

"But for real. Next time you get me clothes. Please don't get hooker clothes." We started laughing and guess what. I got Sokka to play with my hair again.

"Why is your hair white? Most fire nation people have dark hair color."

"I don't know. My dad says I was kissed by an elf." I laughed at the comment but every time I'm reminded of home it brings down my mood. I wanted to stop feeling like this. I wanted to be free to have fun and know they're safe. They probably thought I was dead after what little ships might have survived from Aangs attacked. The guards that might be still alive would go take attendance and their family would be informed that they're alive. Any missing person not on those ships would be announced dead.

Maybe it was better they thought I was dead. My brother would be hurt if I'd decided to go have fun with these people instead of returning home. If they knew then I would be announced as a traitor to my country and my family be shamed.

(In honor of the first voice of Iroh)
(R.I.P. Mako Iwamatsu 1933-2006)