I'll Be Strong

"Guys she's waking up!" Heavy foot steps came towards me. I could feel the people around me.

"Kai? How are you feeling?" Sokka's voice was so gentle. Like he was scared he would break me.

My eyes began to open against my will. No. Stay closed. My head was pounding. Like if a leaf fell on my forehead my whole skull would burst.

When my eyes were finally open it was pitch black. Like my eyes were open but at the same time not.

"I can't...it's dark...I can't see...wha?.." I sat up and started scooting backwards. My voice started to sound broken and my heart was pounding.

"Wait what? What happened?" Katara. I recognized her voice.

"Wait. Look at her eyes." Aang focused their attention to my eyes and I got self conscious. I was blinking a lot. Like if I blinked my eyes enough I could see.

"They're blue."

"Sokka I'm scared."

In a moment he was by my side. The others not far behind.

"I tried healing you but I could only so much. Azula...she...I'm so sorry Kai." Katara sound guilty.

"Help me up." Sokka pulled on my hand getting me to my feet. If Katara could speak one more time then I could guess where she was. "You tried. Thank you for trying."

I heard her make a little whimpering sound and pulled her to me into a hug. If it wasn't for her I might have died. She did more than she knows.

"At least now you got a cool scar." Sokka tried lifting the mood. I don't blame him.

"What scar?"

"You have a scar around your eyes and cheeks that looks like lightning. Your eyes aren't clouded over but they turned rly light blue with dark lightning like streaks on your iris." Katara explained.

"Guess I look pretty badass huh. And I guess I can't judge your weird taste in clothes that you give me." We all laughed.

There was no point in being sad about it now. What's done is done.

"How long was I out?"

"Just for one day."

I wonder what my scar looked like. I hope no one will pity me.

🔥🔥🔥

That day was hard. My whole life was colorful and beautiful. I had 15 years of being able to see color. Now it was just dark and empty.

I ran into stuff. If someone moved something I was completely lost.

"Ok so your sleeping bag and stuff is here." Sokka was more speaking to himself. Cause he wasn't directing me anywhere.

"Ummm you kinda have to show me now."

For a split second I saw a hint of red light up on his face. Like if I could see his body temperature.

He grabbed my hand and some parts of his body flickered a small red color but quickly disappeared.

"Ok here." He pulled my hand down to the ground where he had placed my stuff.

"Thank you Sokka."

I carefully sat down on my sleeping bag as Aang and Katara were by the water practicing and Sokka was staying with me. It's like I need a baby sitter.

"So is it all just dark now?" Sokka's question took me off guard.

"Oh um...yea basically." I didn't want to tell him about the temperature thing.

"How about for now...you use a stick to help you see." I could hear him swing a stick through the air halfway through his sentence.

"I feel like I'd look dumb. I can just hold you hand to guide me." I had the most innocent smile. Even I could his face heat up.

He walked off to go find some food and left me there but I told him I'd be fine.

It sucks. I'm trying to be strong but I'm hurting inside. I feel like I'll be left out stuff since I need help with pretty much everything right now. I miss being able to see. I feel disabled. Maybe I should just ask them to take me home.

I crawled into my sleeping bag. It was late afternoon anyways. I just want to be asleep where I can't feel anything. But I just want to say. I'll be brave for you guy. I'll be strong and try my hardest. I promise...

(Please vote)