part 17

Fitting room

The next day, in most classes, Xavier and I sat next to each other. We only got separated on chem Lab where we are grouped in two teams for using ph paper and the usage of ph scale, testing the ph meter of our local water.

On Thursday, Xavier asked me out on a date which will be on Saturday. It is my first date and I got nothing to wear so I texted Mary to come with me to shop for a new dress to buy. I got two days before prepping myself and on the big day, I prayed nothing bad happens.

" Nope, I hate that one- too red." Mary waved off the crimson tube dress I presented before her. She was reading a magazine, flipping another page using her thumb. Her legs folded over on top of the other looking like she was about to critique a fashion show.

" It is red, Mare," I said flatly, looking down on the hot slits on my right leg. It is a cool dress no doubt. But it seemed Mary is not looking for cool and sexy ones.

" How many times have I told you don't call me Mare." Mary moaned in frustration.

" Why? It is dope, Mare. " I shrugged my shoulders as I watched my outfit on the fitting mirror before changing into a different one.

" I don't eat humans. " She rolled her eyes.

" Bears don't eat humans. They eat honeys and beavers, Mare."

She snorted, " I am not a four-legged horse that neighs."

" Fine, I'll just call you RI." I groaned.

" What am I? A cellphone alarm? " She grumbled. I could hear her flipping another page this time, louder, I thought it tore apart.

I chuckled at her disgust over the nickname. Mary has been the best person to be with whenever I am depressed. When I was at the funeral, she was the best friend I could lean on, she hugged me, patted my back when I was crying mad over Tria's death. As I laid her ashes by the Carraga cliff, she was there to support me when I told her I couldn't do it.

Until now, Tria's ashes remained beside my window by my bed. A sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach, something heavy holding me back, doesn't want me to let her go.

" It makes you and mark have the same nickname," I joked, " Don't you think it's cute?"

" Mark and I are strictly friends! There is no - yuck I might just throw up thinking we are something more. Ew."

I smiled at her dispute. I've been shipping them before, way before me and Mark met Mary. It was easy to say that Mark has a crush over Mary when we where third years but when they were introduced to each other, the infatuation slowly faded into friendship.

A hand caused me to quickly turned over my shoulders and caught Mary worry crosses her beautiful features, " I thought you fainted or something."

My train of thought flew out as I said, " I was about to go change."

She nodded and smiled," I'll leave you to it."

She reluctantly left me in the room to wear another dress to be fitted.

For the last thirty minutes of finding the right dress, Mary has been taking my first date earnestly to the next new level. We visited five dressing shops and I could tell she was at this point of bursting her bubble. There are about fifteen dresses I've tried on and it seemed she doesn't see any of it as suitable for my date. So we skipped the dress part and moved on to the makeup buying charade.

Mary is a perfectionist so what she was referring to helping me out that includes the makeup kit: lipsticks, blush on, and other girly stuffs.

" Which would you prefer? The nude or the strawberry shade?" Mary raised her wrists to me with the tint of the lipstick on her skin.