Chapter Three

__Shadow had been walking through the woods for ten minutes. He had no shoes on, but his feet were fine. As he walked, other animals would stop and watch to see what Shadow was doing rather than running away. Even a few deer would try to walk up to him, but Shadow paid no mind to them and kept going. He always wondered why the animals were never afraid of him like they were of other people. He didn't mind the animals, though.
__It didn't take long for him to reach his house: a basic two story beige building. He opened the brown door and shut it behind him as he entered his house. He inhaled and sighed before sitting on his couch in the living room. Before he could grab his book from the coffee table, something flew down the stairs: a chao that looked just like shadow. "Chow!" The black chao had flown over to Shadow and sat in his lap.
__"Hi, Navi," Shadow greeted. He grabbed his book and leaned back onto the couch as he started reading. He felt Navi move around until she rested her head on his stomach. No one else other than Rouge and E-123 Omega knew about Navi. Shadow didn't want to reveal Navi to the others to keep them off his back. He had Navi for years now and she never left this house. It wasn't that Shadow kept her inside, but because she was always too scared to leave. Shadow had found her as a baby in the woods. She was being hunted by other animals and sought Shadow for protection. After being imprinted, Shadow decided to keep her.
__Navi suddenly sat up and placed her nubby hand on the book, making Shadow look down at her. "Chow!" She yowled grumpily. She then sat in his book and wagged her little devil tail as she looked at Shadow.
__Shadow groaned and rolled his eyes. "Fine." He grabbed Navi with one hand and set the book back down with the other. He brought her into the bathroom upstairs and turned on the faucet in the tub. He watched Navi fly around excitedly before turning off the water. He stepped back as Navi dove into the water and floated on her back. He was about to grin when he heard knocking coming from his front door. I swear to god, Rouge. He went back downstairs and went to open the front door. He was ready to confront Rouge but kept his mouth closed when he saw Sonic standing there. "What the hell!?"
__"Hello to you, too!" Sonic giggled. He then gently pushed past Shadow and stood behind him. Shadow shut the door and stared at Sonic in shock.
__"How'd you find out where I live!?" He questioned. "I told Rouge and Omega to keep their mouth and voice box shut!"
__Sonic grinned awkwardly and looked away. "I followed you home once," He said rather proudly.
__"You what!?"
__"Eh, don't worry about it," Sonic assured him.
__Shadow growled quietly before shaking his head. "What are you doing here?"
__"I know you said you didn't want any," Sonic began as he pulled out a pair of black shoes. "but Rouge said you don't own any other shoes."
__Shadow's ears twitched. "No, I don't---"
__But Sonic forced the shoes in Shadow's hands. "It's fine! Really. I have plenty."
__Shadow took a step back and examined the black shoes. They were an old pair of converse monochrome chuck taylor all star low tops. Shadow sighed and narrowed his eyes at Sonic. "You really didn't have to."
__Sonic smiled and crossed his arms. "Don't worry about it. It's nothing."
__Shadow huffed and set the shoes on the couch. "Is that it then?"
__Sonic flattened his ears and looked away. "I guess. I'll...be leaving then." He was about to open the door when Shadow started speaking again.
__"Don't tell anyone else where I live," He sneered.
__Sonic turned around to look at Shadow again. "Sure, but why not? What's the harm?"
__"It's bad enough that you know where my house is," Shadow explained. "I don't need the others coming to bother me as well."
__Sonic frowned and nodded. "Okay then. I won't tell anyone." There was a hint of hurt in his eyes as he left the house.

__Shadow was washing the dishes in the kitchen. Navi was sitting by the sink, watching with great interest. When he was done he went straight upstairs to his bedroom with Navi following after him. After Navi flew in, Shadow shut the door and checked his digital clock. Seeing that it said eight o'clock, he figured it was time for bed. He slipped off his socks and gloves, but kept his inhibitor rings on his wrists and ankles. He sat down on his bed and pulled out his phone as Navi rested in his lap. After checking all his emails and messages, he plugged the charger into the phone and set it down on the nightstand.
__"Choo..." Navi yawned and nuzzled her head against Shadow. Shadow held Navi against him as he laid himself down on the bed. He sighed when he felt his body relax and shut his eyes. That damn blue hedgehog. Why can't he ever let me fend for myself? I don't need anyone's help.