Chapter Twenty-eight

__Shadow found his feet stuck on Sonic's welcome mat at the front door. He found it very misleading. He could already feel the angry tension that would come once he knocked on this door. He brought his hand up and hesitated. He didn't want to face Sonic this way, but he didn't have a choice. Shadow sighed and forced his hand to knock on the door. He then flattened his ears when the door opened.
__Sonic was already giving Shadow a nasty look while he had his arms crossed. The claw Mark's on Sonic's left cheek were scabbed now. Milo was flying beside him. He seemed to want to fly over to Shadow, but he looked at Sonic and remained still. Shadow had wanted to smile and hug Sonic out of instinct but had to keep himself from doing so. He already knew that wouldn't end well.
__"Imma make this quick," Sonic started. "Why would you send Rouge and Omega to talk to me instead of speaking to me yourself!?"
__Shadow perked his ears and shook his head. "I didn't send them. Rouge told me they wanted to do something before meeting with me. They ended up showing at the last minute." He had managed to keep his voice sounding calm, yet he could feel something shaking in his throat.
__There was a trace of disappointment in Sonic's straight face as he snorted. "You didn't even want to talk?"
__"I figured I'd leave you alone, like you told me to," Shadow pointed out. He ended up looking down to avoid looking at Sonic's eyes. "What did they say to you?"
__"They were begging me to forgive you," Sonic sneered. "I told them you would have to come here yourself if you truly wanted that."
__Shadow found himself growling. "They were getting in my business like that when they were supposed to help me with Nathaniel?" He asked himself aloud.
__"There you go about Nathaniel again," Sonic muttered.
__Something clicked in Shadow's mind as he recalled the conversation between Dr. Eggman and Nate. He looked back at Sonic and narrowed his eyes. "What did Nathaniel tell you about Maria?"
__Sonic's ear twitched as he leaned back. "What?"
__Shadow stifled a growl of annoyance as he pulled out his memory card and showed it to Sonic. "Before some guy broke my phone, I recorded Eggman and Nate talking to each other. Nate said he mentioned Maria to you. What did he say?"
__Sonic was quiet. He carefully looked down at Milo before sighing. "He said you were thinking about her too much while we were together; that you wanted so badly for her to come back. But you were trying to push that away by using me as a distraction."
__"And you believed him!?" Shadow snapped at him. "He's working with Eggman! He only said those things to bring down your guard, and it's working!"
__"Well I didn't know that!" Sonic snapped back. He shook his head and growled quietly as he calmed himself down. "All that aside, what is going on with him and Eggman?"
__Shadow felt anger and annoyance rise within but tried his best to contain it. He didn't want to talk about that now. He wanted to try to fix things now that he revealed what Nate did. But he knew Sonic put Dr. Eggman over everything. "I don't have everything, but Eggman plans on taking you down with the help of Nate's men when you're least expecting. He said something about him having the world while Nate would have control of all forms of government to help aid him."
__"Of fucking course. You said you recorded them?"
__Shadow nodded as he shook the memory card. "Do you have a spare phone? Like I said, some guy broke mine. And If I remember correctly, you still owe me for saving you at the beach."
__Sonic avoided eye contact as he slowly nodded. He told Shadow to wait and went into another room. Milo had taken this chance to fly over to Shadow. He stared at him before smelling him. He then looked at Shadow in confusion.
__"Navi's not here," Shadow murmured. He then rolled his eyes as Milo held his head down and flew back inside.
__Sonic came back with a black phone in his hand. The phone had a crack on it but it still turned on. Shadow gave Sonic the memory card and watched him put it in the phone. Sonic was going through the phone and Shadow could hear Dr. Eggman and Nate's voices coming from it. He watched Sonic's expression fall before it turned into anger. When the video was done Sonic sighed and gave Shadow the phone. Shadow took it reluctantly and stared at Sonic, hoping for him to say something about their last encounter.
__"Well," Sonic rasped. "I have to get ready to deal with this now. I think it's best for you to go."
__Shadow sighed and turned to leave. But just as Sonic started to close the door, he turned back and started speaking. "Sonic." Sonic stopped where he was and looked at Shadow. "Know that I would never use you like that. Maria was bothering me, but what we had before Nate spoke to you was perfect."
__Sonic pulled the door a bit to get a better look at Shadow. "So, have you chosen then?" He asked, though there was doubt on his face. "You still want her back. I know you do. But are you willing to put her behind us?"
__Shadow stared at Sonic with narrowed eyes. He knew what he wanted to say. He knew who to choose, yet when he opened his mouth nothing came out. Something had prevented him from speaking. He ended up closing his mouth and looking away.
__"Great," Sonic said in defeat. He tried closing the door, but Shadow acted fast and held it open. Sonic looked at Shadow in annoyance.
__"I can't exactly say it, but let me prove to you what I want," Shadow pleaded. "You want to stop Eggman, and I want Nate in prison. Let's work against them."
__"You want us to team up?" Sonic asked in disbelief.
__"Like we used to, but more similar to when we were at the haunted mansion." Shadow kept staring at Sonic, waiting for any kind of response. Sonic had been pondering and it made him scared. But he calmed down when Sonic spoke.
__"Fine, but don't expect the 'actions speak louder than words' phrase to be beneficial for you," Sonic said in defeat, yet he sounded relieved, too. "Meet me here tomorrow...if you can." He then shut the door.