Chapter Thirty-one

__"I'm glad to hear everything's going all right with you," Rouge said. She was sitting on Shadow's bed while kicking her legs out. Her expression turned into concern as she stared at Shadow. "You are good, right?"
__Shadow was sitting at his computer desk while sharpening his bayonet vigorously. There was a wooden cutting board on the desk, so when he was done sharpening the bayonet he swiftly stabbed it into the cutting board. He was satisfied as it was deep in the wood. He then pulled it out and slowly nodded at Rouge. "Uh huh."
__"Why are you bringing your weapons out again?" Rouge asked. "I thought you were done with those."
__"I was," Shadow muttered. "Now I want to ensure everything goes well."
__"You mean with Nate?"
__Shadow nodded as he placed his bayonet back in its leather casing. "He's working with Eggman. Sonic and I have a plan figured out."
__Rouge flattened her ears upon hearing this. "You don't need me or Omega?" She sounded hurt.
__Shadow stared at Rouge for s few seconds before sighing. "If for some reason we're backed up in a corner, you two will be the first I call for help. You should know already I can't lose a fight easily, though."
__Rouge's ears perked up as she grinned. "I guess you're right. But why with Sonic, if you don't mind me asking?"
__"Eggman is after Sonic again so we're both giving them what they deserve." Shadow stood up from his desk and headed for his nightstand. He opened the top drawer and pulled out his Browning BDA. He checked and saw it was empty and loaded it with bullets. He made sure the safety was on before going to set it by his bayonet. "We're still using all that evidence we gathered. Once Sonic calls me for help, I'm sending it all to the police."
__"Good to hear everything's figured out now," Rouge said in relief. She then frowned. "But why is Nate working with Eggman? I thought he hated him."
__"His profile was probably fake," Shadow inferred. "And apparently if Eggman succeeds in taking down Sonic he'll give all forms of government to Nate."
__"But why was Nate targeting you then?"
__Shadow pondered a bit. It didn't really make sense why Nate would target him. But then he thought about the conversation between Nate and Dr. Eggman. Nate had told him before that he had people spy on Shadow and Sonic. If he had been working with Dr. Eggman the entire time, then perhaps he had people spy on Sonic before he and Shadow were together. He must've known how Sonic acted towards Shadow. Nate had planned to try and take Shadow out to mess with Sonic and make him vulnerable. But Shadow had accidentally ruined everything and delayed the process. It now made sense.
__Shadow grew angry as he processed all of this. His hatred for Nate had increased immensely as he tightened his fists. You planned this from the very beginning. I won't let you or anyone hurt Sonic. I won't lose him too!

__Shadow spent the next three days in his house alone with Navi. He had his communicator on his left wrist at all times, except when he took a shower and at night when it needed to charge. He grew anxious. Nothing was happening. He wanted to get everything over with so he and Sonic could finally relax.
__Navi's egg hadn't hatched yet. This was the first time Shadow had to deal with an egg so he didn't know how long this would take. He noticed that Navi had spent all of her time with the egg. The only time she left it was when she had to eat, drink, go to the bathroom, and bathe. At night she would always hug Shadow before going to sleep with the egg. This would often make Shadow think about his future. He wasn't exactly sure if he should be thinking about stuff like that, though.
__Shadow had kept his bayonet and browning with him at all times. He would always bring them with him around the house and set them down where they were in his sight. He hadn't used them in a long time, but he was only going to use them as a last resort (using the gun before the knife). He remembered how to aim a handgun at least. Even if he didn't, he would learn again quickly in the battlefield in an instant.
__Right now Shadow was in the kitchen, peeling a mango for Navi. She had been rather rowdy and it annoyed Shadow. While he peeled, Navi would circle him and pull on his arms and quills impatiently. When he finished he didn't even get the chance to set the knife down as Navi quickly grabbed it and flew back upstairs. He was about to make a nasty remark when his communicator started to violently vibrate. He answered it and immediately went upstairs to his desktop.
__"Do what you gotta do and hurry over here," Sonic had whispered into the communicator. "I'm surrounded."
__"Hold on until I get there," Shadow whispered back as he emailed all the evidence to police department and started running back downstairs. "I'm on my way!" He hung up and grabbed his weapons from the coffee table. This was it. They were now going to fight for their lives. To Shadow however, this was a fight for Sonic's life and he was not going to lose. No matter what he was going to make sure Sonic was safe, even if it meant sacrificing himself.
__Shadow checked himself to make sure he had everything: his phone, his gun, and his knife. He had a leather belt with holsters that he put everything in. After putting the belt on, he focused his Chaos Energy and teleported to Sonic's location. No matter what, we will prevail. No matter what. This time I won't let you down. No matter what.