Chapter Fifteen

__Shadow wasn't affected by the fact he got fired. It was like he always knew it would happen. What bugged Shadow was what Nate was planning. He had said that Shadow had ruined his plans when he didn't show up at the meeting with the president. Shadow wondered if they had anything to do with why Nate had somehow got the black spheres in his shoes that caused them to malfunction.
__Shadow had just cracked open one of the smalls spheres on his kitchen counter. He was mad and disappointed to see that everything inside was charred. Now he wouldn't know what the contents were. Feeling defeated, he scraped up all the pieces and threw them away. He then walked into the living room and sat down on the couch, putting his elbows on his knees and his face in his hands. Perhaps I shouldn't even bother anymore. I'll never have to see him again anyhow. He slowly looked up when Navi sat down on the coffee table. "Hi, Navi."
__Navi closed her eyes and made a huge smile. She was about to make some noise when she made this confused expression and looked at the door. She flew over to it and glanced through the glass peephole. Her ears and tail drooped and she hurriedly flew upstairs. Shadow watched her fly away before standing up and walking to the door. He slowly opened it and was greeted by Rouge and E-123 Omega, both looked depressed.
__"What's going on here?" Shadow asked as he moved away, allowing Rouge to come in but leaving E-123 Omega standing by the doorway since it couldn't get in. Shadow felt a bit uneasy. The last time he saw the two of them he had yelled at Rouge.
__"Nate told us he fired you," Rouge said quietly. She crossed her arms and sighed.
__Shadow groaned and followed her posture. "It's nothing unexpected."
__"He said you flaked on your mission to play around with your boy toy?" Rouge's face showed confusion and concern. "I didn't even think you were into that."
__"Into what?" Shadow asked. "I don't even know what that means. That's just what he called Sonic."
__Rouge's eyes grew wide as she uncrossed her arms. "You don't know what boy toy means?"
__"No?" Shadow said in confusion. "Why would I?"
__Rouge just shook her head. "Forget about it. Why were you with Sonic if you were supposed to be with Nate?"
__Shadow flattened his ears and looked toward E-123 Omega, who was creepily looking into the house. "Sonic fell in the ocean."
__"He did what!?" Rouge exclaimed.
__"He was drowning and I was the only one who dove in to get him," Shadow explained. "I even had to perform cpr on him."
__"Is he okay?" Rouge asked worriedly.
__Shadow nodded. "He's fine."
__Rouge looked to the kitchen for a few seconds before looking back at Shadow with her hands behind her back. "If you were saving Sonic, why would he fire you?"
__"He wouldn't listen to my excuses apparently," Shadow growled, which made Rouge flatten her ears. He then sighed and looked at Rouge. "Is this all you're here for, or are you waiting for me to apologize?"
__"I don't need an apology," Rouge assured him. "I wanted to tell you in person that after we heard you were fired, Omega and I quit."
__Shadow's ears perked up. "What? Why?"
__Rouge smiled and tilted her head. "I already told you that whatever happens to one of us with Nate around we face it together, remember?"
__"But you didn't have to quit. You need that job more than me."
__"It's fine! I can start treasure hunting again."
__Shadow narrowed one eye at Rouge. "You mean stealing?"
__Rouge lightly punched Shadow's shoulder and giggled. "No! I actually mean hunt for treasure. I'm gonna give Knuckles a run for his money."
__Shadow then looked at E-123 Omega. "What about you?"
__"I will stand by Tails until my assistance is needed by any Freedom Fighter."
__"Great," Shadow replied unenthusiastically. He then groaned again. "Well, you both seem fine."
__"You'll figure out what to do," Rouge reassured him. "You always do. Maybe you can go back to hero-ing, like Sonic." Shadow rolled his eyes. "I'm serious! You literally saved Sonic's life yesterday."
__"I'll think about it." Shadow didn't really find that appealing. He only ever acted as a hero if he needed to. He didn't want to be like some heros who were only ever in it for the glory. He knew Sonic wasn't like that, though.
__"Oh! There's another reason we came here. Omega!" Rouge motioned with her hands to E-123 Omega, rushing it to hurry up. A slot opened in the robot and it picked something up with its metal claws carefully. It then handed it down to Shadow. It was a yellow flash drive with Tails's logo on it. Rouge was bouncing excitedly as Shadow stared at it. "Nate was in the conference room when I told him we quit. I had Omega get into his office, undetected mind you, and downloaded all his files."
__Shadow was astonished as he picked up the flash drive. He continued to examine it as he spoke. "That's amazing, but I don't think it matters anymore."
__"Sure it does!" Rouge said brightly. "If we have proof of Nate trying to sabotage you or worse, we could get him fired. Or better yet, arrested." Shadow let out a smile and it made Rouge laugh. "You like that, huh?"
__"Tsk!" Shadow looked away and crossed his arms. "He deserves whatever is coming for him."
__"I'm rooting for you," Rouge said warmly. "Well, it's about time we head back. This was all we needed to tell you." She then hugged Shadow and squeezed him tightly before she left the house with E-123 Omega slowly following after her.
__Shadow clenched the flash drive in one hand as he closed the door with the other. He then looked towards the stairs. "Navi!" He waited until Navi flew down the stairs cautiously. "Why'd you hide? You like those two." There was another knock on the door. Navi looked scared as she flew back upstairs. Did she see someone else then? Shadow opened the door again and was found face to face with Sonic.