Chapter Thirty-three

__Sonic had sat down on his knees with Shadow's head resting on his lap. Shadow had continued to bleed as he was panting excessively. There were many shrapnel in his right side and stomach from the shotgun and it was very painful. He had both of his hands on his wounds to try and stop the bleeding, but it didn't stop. My weak points. Dammit!
__None of the humans dared to move or make any noise. They just stood there for some reason, keeping their guns pointing down. Shadow was actually able to recognize some of the G.U.N. soldiers in the crowd, but they had kept to the back. There was horror and regret in their wide eyes.
__In the distance, Nate had been looking around angrily and frantically at his men. "What are you all doing!? Get the blue one!"
__But none of the humans moved. They just turned to look at each other.
__Shadow tried to speak but he felt a painful spasm as the burning sensation worsened. "GAHHHHH!!!"
__The humans had flinched while Sonic lifted Shadow's top half immediately. "Oh god! H-hold on! I'll get you out of here!" He tried picking him up, but it just hurt Shadow more.
__"Ah! No! No! No! Don't!" He hissed. He waited until Sonic set his down on on his lap before speaking. "Shit. I can't."
__Sonic kept his ears down as he gritted his teeth and shook his head. "No, this is my fault. I wasn't paying any attention. I'm so sorry."
__"Stop. I don't want to hear that," Shadow rasped. He then managed to let out a short titter as he looked away. "How ironic. Maria had done the same for me when she died; getting shot in the organs."
__"Shadow..." Sonic's eyes had began to water, yet no tears had fallen. "Why?"
__"Why?" Shadow snorted. "Idiot." He felt another painful spasm and Sonic had clung onto him. "Listen, nothing means more to me now than making sure you're safe. You need to get out of here."
__"I'm not leaving you!" Sonic retorted.
__Shadow managed to smile. "How do the others put up with you?" He then sighed and shut his eyes for a minute. "I at least need you to know..."
__Sonic perked his ears. "Know what?"
__Shadow opened his eyes and looked at Sonic. "It was your smile."
__Sonic looked sad and confused. "What are you talking about?" He croaked.
__"It always confused me on how you were always so joyful." Shadow had tightened his grip on his stomach and forced himself to keep speaking. "I was testing you at the start. I wanted to see if you could get any happier, and I really enjoyed seeing you smile. It was what kept me going."
__"I never knew..." Sonic shut his eyes as he tried so desperately not to cry.
__"Sonic, look at me," Shadow rasped pleadingly. Sonic reluctantly opened his eyes, but Shadow's vision had started to grow blurry. "Are you looking at me?"
__"I am."
__Shadow lifted up his right hand and tried to feel for Sonic's left cheek. When he found the bleeding claw marks he whispered, "You really need to get that treated. And also..." Shadow grunted as he forced his body to move up. He kept his hand on Sonic's cheek as he used his lips to find Sonic's. Once he found them he carefully kissed Sonic while he tried to keep his balance. Sonic had not moved at all. He didn't even kiss back. Shadow had managed to stay up a bit as he pulled his lips away. "I love you." He then gasped and fell back down.  He clutched his stomach and started spazzing out as his vision darkened. He began to die.
__Sonic had finally made movement as he grabbed Shadow's right wrist. "No!" And like that he started removing Shadow's inhibitor rings, starting with both wrists.
__Dr. Eggman must have noticed since he started shouting. "What are you doing!? Act now! ACT NOW!!!"
__As Sonic removed the last ring from Shadow's ankle, Shadow felt a large amount of energy enter his system. His vision had cleared as he stood up and screamed. Sonic and every human close to him had been thrown back from the emitting energy. Shadow felt the shrapnel fall out of his wounds as they healed. He couldn't think straight as he glared at the humans whom were still standing. By instinct he charged at them and began attacking them with all his power.
__Left and right humans screamed and fell to the ground. Most were killed while others were barely able to get out of his way. Shadow had not cared about what he was doing. All that was running through his mind was that they tried to kill Sonic and he needed to get rid of them.
__When Shadow was near Sonic he stopped and looked down at him. Sonic had struggled to stand up and looked at Shadow. Shadow's hands were shaking from all the power that was urging to be released as he struggled to speak. "Get...out!"
__Sonic had hesitated before he nodded. He tried running but he fell to the ground. He checked his legs and saw that they were a bit burnt and bruised. "Plan B," He had said before putting two fingers in his mouth. He whistled loudly and cupped his hands around his mouth. "Now, Dulcy!"
__From beyond the trees a large blue dragon appeared and flew down towards Sonic. Sonic lifted both of his hands up and grabbed the dragon's leg as she neared him. The dragon then flew away as Sonic struggled to climb onto her back.
__"No!" Dr. Eggman yelled. He then looked down at Metal Sonic and pointed at the dragon. "Don't let them get away!"
__Metal Sonic had activated its rockets and began flying after the dragon. It fired its blasters at her but she managed to dodge and retaliated by breathing fire at it.
__Shadow then brought his attention to the fleeing humans and chased after them. He made sure to kill every single one of them, except for those he knew from G.U.N. It didn't take long at all.
__Once he was finished he stopped where he was and looked at the rest who were alive. They were all sitting down and looking at him in horror as if they expected him to kill them. But Shadow just shook his head and crossed his arms. "I have no intention in killing those I have worked with. All I ask now is that you see the error in your ways by following Nate and Eggman in this."
__The G.U.N. soldiers had all sighed in relief. One of them had actually sat on their knees and bowed before Shadow. "Please forgive us! Nate had threatened to harm our families if we didn't comply!"
__"He did, did he?" Shadow growled as he glared back at Nate.
__Nate had his ears flattened as he trembled. He then perked his ears as the sound of police sirens were starting to get louder. He turned around and looked behind him in panic. "What!? The police!?"
__"Screw this!" Dr. Eggman grabbed onto the steering and began flying. "Fall back, Metal Sonic! We're out of here!"
__Metal Sonic had stopped his pursuit on the dragon and quickly flew after Dr. Eggman.
__Nate had stared after the two and started running. "Hey! Don't leave me here!"
__Shadow then teleported to him and grabbed him in a choke hold, being careful with his over powering strength. "It's over. Move and I'll snap your neck."
__"You damn monster!" Nate had hissed.
__"I may be a monster," Shadow began calmly. "But at least the people I care about are now safe from you."
__Police cars had surrounded them. Many humans and mobians had come out of them and made their way to Shadow and Nate. Two mobians had taken Nate and the sheriff, who was human, had looked down at Shadow while keeping his arms crossed. "What about those men?" He pointed with his head to the G.U.N. soldiers.
__Shadow shook his head. "They're with me."
__The sheriff nodded and went to join the other police officers as they put Nate in handcuffs and set him in one of their cars. Nate had glared at Shadow through the window as the all the cars drove away.
__Shadow then began to grow a bit dizzy as the rest of his energy was slowly wasting away. He couldn't stay standing and ended up falling on his butt. He then looked up as the dragon roared and landed in front of him. Sonic had tried to get off of her carefully but ended up falling off and hitting the ground hard.
__"Oh dear! Sonic, you okay?" The dragon had used her nose to help Sonic sit up.
__"Yeah, Dulcy. I'm fine. Thanks." Sonic then looked at Shadow and started crawling over to over to him. He smiled as he rested his head on Shadow's. "You did it. Although I don't agree with how you did it."
__"You can't say that after you removed my rings," Shadow rasped. "Plus, I kept my old co-workers alive." Shadow then looked at Sonic's damaged legs and put his hand on them. "I still have a bit left." He focused all the remaining Chaos Energy he had left and healed Sonic's legs. But it wasn't just his legs that were healed. The two claw marks had slowly closed up and the remaining blood went away. Shadow felt relieved until his dizziness grew worse and he fell to the ground.
__Sonic had stood up immediately and used his super-speed to run away and come back. He had all four of Shadow's rings and began to put them on Shadow's wrists and ankles. "Hang in there, Shadow. I'll take you home."
__Shadow had smiled and sighed before he blacked out.