Prologue

"Seul. We need to talk." Irene approached Seulgi while she was working on a couple of mixes to send to different people in LA and New York.

The music on Seulgi's headphones were too loud that Irene can hear eat while she was walking towards her. Seulgi was so absorbed in her work that she unintentionally ignored her girlfriend who was now fuming.

"Seul! Can you please stop that? We need to talk!" Irene said as she took out the headphones from Seulgi's ears.

"Jeez, Baechu unnie. Chill. I'm sorry, okay? What were you telling me?" Irene asked apologetically.

"I said, we need to talk." Irene said seriously.

"Oh, okay. About what?"

"US." Irene looked at Seulgi sadly. From that moment, Seulgi knew what was going to happen.

Seulgi and Irene have been dating for a year. Irene was a Senior, and Seulgi was a Junior in Barden University. Seulgi was already bracing herself a few months ago when she learned that Irene was finally going to graduate. Irene graduating from College could imply that Irene's leaving SMU and her for good.

"Seulgi?" Irene asked worriedly.

Seulgi immediately snapped out of her thoughts and stared back at Irene. "Okay Baechu Unnie. Sure. Let's talk about US. Where should we begin?" Seulgi voice showed a little anger but Irene tried to shrug it off, thinking that it was already time for her to talk to Seulgi since Graduation is just around the corner.

"Okay. I applied for Medical School in California. I GOT IN, SSUL!" Irene exclaimed.

Seulgi knew from the start that Irene could get in. Irene was pretty and smart, she'd really be admitted to the program. "Really? Congratulations Unnie!" Seulgi replied.

There was a little bit of dead air between both when
Seulgi decided to speak up, "So, where will that leave us?"

Irene was shocked to hear what Seulgi said. She was trying to talk to Seulgi and she told herself that she would do it gently and slowly.

"Seulgi.."

"No, Unnie. We're already headed for that path, right? You're graduating next week, then after that, you'll go to Cali to work everything out for Med School. And I'll be here. Just here in Seoul. So, don't think that I don't know what's going to happen because I have prepared for this. And I told myself a lot of times that our relationship won't lead us to where we are now. I guess, I have no choice but to face it." Seulgi looked at Irene with teary eyes.

Irene was speechless for a moment, but then she closed her eyes and tried to convince herself that this is what she's supposed to do. It was for her and for Seulgi. It was for the best.

"Seul. I'm sorry. I am so sorry. I know you begged me a lot of times, I know that you told me you can handle long disstance relationships, but you see, Med School will take a lot of my time, and I can't promise you that I'll always be there when you call via Skype. I'm sorry because I am just not that type of person, you know? But I love you. I will always love you, and doing this now, really hurts me but I just made a choice."

Seulgi looked at Irene for a long time. Irene can almost feel Irene's intense stare piercing through her. "You made a choice? Yes, and you're making the wrong one, Joohyun. I don't wanna break up because I am very willing to sacrifice for you. You can go to Med School, I'll graduate, then maybe build my career in Cali instead of La or New York. All that Joohyun, for you."

Irene was sobbing upon hearing Seulgi's words. Seulgi wanted to say yes but she already thought of what was proper.

"I'm sorry, Seulgi. I don't want you to waste your time here being stuck up on me since I'll be far away from you. I'm leaving, and that's final. This is my dream, Seul. Go chase your own too. I won't hold you back." Irene hugged Seulgi tighter than ever and she kissed Beca Seulgi on her lips.

Seulgi knew that was the last kiss she'll ever get from
Irene, and she didn't hold herself back. She gave in to the kiss knowing that no matter how times she would beg, Irene won't change her mind.

"Unnie, promise me that you'll write. Promise me that you'll call whenever you're free. Promise me that you'd visit. Please, please, promise me that you'll still be with me, and that even though we're not together anymore after this, you'll never forget me. Or rather, us."

"I promise, Seul. I promise." Irene assured Seulgi, and Seulgi was convinced. After letting Irene go, she knew that her life won't be the same anymore.

After their moments of crying and cuddling for the last time, it was Irene's time to go. Seulgi was still caught up in their moment, refusing to believe that once Irene walks out of her dorm room, they're officially over.

Irene stood by Seulgi's door, just staring at Seulgi. She looked around the room, trying to memorize what's she's going to leave behind. And with one final hug and kiss, she closed Seulgi's door, leaving Seulgi brokenhearted more than ever.