Chapter 4

Seulgi sat and worked in her recording studio in New York for the whole day. Yeri set a meeting with Shawn Mendes around 4 in the afternoon, and Seulgi was very excited to meet the artist. She was not a huge fan of the kid, but the thought of working with him made her enthusiastic about all the project.

"Seul Unnie, it's almost 12. Do you wanna grab some lunch? Taco Bell or something? Name it." Yeri nudged her bestfriend, implying that she can already afford everything she wants to eat.

"Taco Bell, Yeri. You know how I have been craving for that a few days ago." Seulgi stated.

Yeri just nodded and as soon as she was about to leave to make a call to Dave, who was Seulgi's driver/bodyguard. Seulgi called her back again.

"Hey, Yeri! How's Joy in Cali?" Seulgi asked without looking back at her bestfriend. She was avoiding eye contact between her and Yeri. Yeri knows her too well, Yeri can read everything just by looking at her eyes.

"Oh, I thought you already talked? Well, she's staying with uh.."  Yeri stuttered. She did not want to hurt Seulgi. She knows how Seulgi has been hurting for the past 2 years, and that it was difficult for them to pick up a damaged Seulgi all over again.

"Come on, Yer. You can say her name, it's not bad luck or something."

"Okay. She's staying with Irene. They met up for lunch, they're spending lots of time together now instead of before. You know, since you got her as a lawyer and all. I'll tell her to call you though, if you want?" Yeri offered.

"No. It's okay. I was just wondering. She hasn't called me yet, and that surprises me. She's kinda hard on me you know. She's like my mom." Yeri and Seulgi laughed at the comparison.

"Well, you know how Joy is. She cares about you. We care about you." Yeri hugged her instantly. Seulgi shoved Yeri back in order to avoid the mushy feelings. She hates it when her friends become emotional around her, she hates these things. She hated them, after Irene left.

"Okay, nerd. Enough. Leave. I'm finishing my song for Shawn. He'll be coming over soon, so you better get me my lunch before he arrives. I need to eat after finishing the demo. It's getting the most out of me." Seulgi remarked. Yeri just scoffed and left the studio to make arrangements for the scheduled meeting.

Yeri knew that Seulgi was writing a song meant for Irene. Seulgi has produced a lot songs already but she never admitted them that they were meant for a certain somebody. Nobody dared to ask because the team just knew. And with how Seulgi's feeling lately, Yeri won't be surprised if Shawn Mendes' next hit would be meant for Irene. She was not sure about the message that Seulgi wanted to convey this time, though. Yeti hoped that the song would help her have a sense of motivation to move on.

Seulgi finished the demo just before Shawn and his team arrived in the studio. She reviewed it a lot of times before letting anyone hear it. She did not even let Yeri hear it when she was bugging her to make her listen to it. She was very satisfied with her work, and she knew that the song was perfect to relay how she was feeling the past days.

"Hey, Kang! I'm here. Are you ready for me?" Shawn walked up to the girl and hugged her.

"Shawn! No, it's more of like, Are you ready for me? It should be the other way around." Seulgi was nervous, but she was confident that Shawn and his team will like it.

Seulgi's team and Shawn's team gathered in the booth. Everyone was waiting for Seulgi to play the demo. It was going to be her debut in writing songs for an artist, and everyone was excited about it. Yeri had complete trust in Seulgi, and so did Jeongyeon, Nayeon, and Lisa.

As soon as Seulgi hit the play button. The booth was silent. Seulgi was nervous, she was looking at all the people in the booth with her. Seulgi's music filled the room, the music was perfect, and the lyrics were so damn good.

"Okay. Stop. Stop." Shawn immediately demanded that the music be stopped. Seulgi was nervous.

"Hey. Dude. What the hell? The song was really good. It's better than my cheesecake right here." Nayeon went over to Shawn to defend Seulgi. Shawn was laughing at Nayeon's tactics. He shrugged and looked at Seulgi's team. "I don't need to hear more, guys. I'll do this with Seulgi. Just hearing the first stanza until the chorus, was enough for me. Seulgi's amazing."

"Really? Oh! Oh! Alright! Thank you so much, Shawn!" Seulgi hugged Shawn due to her happiness.

"Yo. You don't hug. Back off." Nayeon was happy for her friend. She looked onto Lisa, Yeri and Jeongyeon, and all of them nodded right back. They knew Seulgi's changed for the better.

Shawn was set to record the song immediately. He was thrilled to do it on the exact day. It was obvious that he loved the song so much. The song is set to be having a special preview anytime within the week. Shawn wanted it to be as soon as possible because it was a gift for his fans for supporting him.

Shawn and Seulgi worked in the studio for the whole night. Both were as excited as the other. It was going to be a sure hit. They felt it.

Lisa, Yeri, Jeongyeon and Nayeon were looking over the two while they were in their elements. "Seulgi did a good job, right?" Lisa asked the team.

"Bear has been doing good lately, and I'm proud of her. I'd crush her if I'd hug her though." Nayeon said.

"Seul really outdid herself for Shawn's first song. It's gonna be huge. I'll handle the publicity as soon as it's done." Jeongyeon was Seulgi's head of PR. She knows a hit when she hears one.

"Did you guys listen to the lyrics though? It's meant for Irene. Again. But this one's different. This one, I think, is Seulgi's way of saying that she has already opened her eyes and she is willing to move on already." Yeri stated. Everyone knew that Yeri was right. They just continued looking at Seulgi and Shawn finish their magic.

The song was finished and polished a little after midnight, and was set to be released immediately after lunch. Shawn's team had connections with several radio stations that would play the first song for Shawn's upcoming album. Seulgi was excited to finally hear her legit words and music through air waves, and she wanted every one special in her life to hear it the first time it gets played on the radio. Seulgi without a doubt, called Joy

"Hello. What do you want?" Joy was annoyed that Seulgi called her in the middle of her brunch with Irene.

"Sooyoungie. Don't be so uptight. I have news for you!" Joy felt that Seulgi was happy, so she just made her go on without interrupting whatever Seulgi needs to tell her. "Okay, shoot."

"Joy, I wrote a song for Shawn Mendes. You remember right? I sent you the documents related to the contracts and all?"

"Of course, everything was fine. I read through everything. Why?"

"Well, he came earlier than expected. He requested that I finish the song immediately so that it would be in time for his special tribute to his fans. And..."

"And? Continue. I'm waiting."

"I finished it Sooyoung! We recorded it last night, and it's going to be out after lunch today. So, you better tune in okay? Wherever you are. Promise me!"

"Whoa. Slow down, Seulgi. That was fast. You really have it in you, huh? Grace under pressure?" Joy was proud of Seulgi. She might not say it directly, but Seulgi knows it, everyone knows.

"Yes. Yes. So, hit me up when you hear it, okay?"

"I promise." Joy looked onto Irene as she said those words. She knew what those words did to Irene, and how it broke her by making her feel guilty.

"What's up?" Irene curiously asked. Joy knew that there was no point in hiding that it was Seulgi who was on the phone with her.

"It's the Bear. The song she wrote for Shawn is going to be played later. She just asked me to tune in and be a witness for this special moment for her." Joy unintentionally blurted out those words, and as soon as she realized that Irene was hurt. She evaded talks about it, but Irene wouldn't back down.

"She used to tell me that too. She wants special people in her life to be a witness in every milestone in her life. She didn't call me this time. I know that I'm not a part of her anymore, Joy."

Joy could not find the right things to say at this point because she knew that Irene was right. Because of Irene's doing, Seulgi had put up her walls so high again that only limited people could break through them. And right now, Irene was not one of them.