Chapter 3

Joy arrived in California just in time to be able to meet with some businessmen who wanted to get in touch with Seulgi so that she would be their endorser for some of their products. Joy just rolled her eyes at them knowing that Seulgi won't accede to their pleas.

Joy and Irene were meeting for dinner, and that gave Joy ample time to sit back and do research about her hobbit friend. She and Yeri were in charge of damage control, of course the burden is both on them. Seulgi calls them the "Super Couple."

To Joy's relief, there was no damage done by Seulgi. She was proud of her, she in fact listened. However, a news article caught Joy's attention. The news article read:

"NY'S HOTTEST DJ/MUSIC PRODUCER TO COLLABORATE WITH ADELE, JUSTIN BIEBER AND SHAWN MENDES!"

Joy was excited about the news. How could she not know this? She was Seulgi's lawyer! She was Seulgi's friend! She's a huge fan of the three! Joy immediately called Yeri to confirm the news.

"Yer, baby, is it true? Is Seulgi collaborating with Adele, Justin and Shawn? Please tell me it is!" Joy could not hide her inner fan girl.

"Joy, yes. It is! I didn't tell you immediately because Seul Unnie just decided on it a 2 days ago. She wanted to surprise you by not telling you because she knows you'd freak out and will hover over her for a few days." Yeri was laughing at the thought of Park Sooyoung, lawyer in a fan girl state.

"Oh, I am so going to kill her!" Joy was laughing so hard she forgot that she's waiting for company.

"Kill who, Joy?" A pair of sparkling bright eyes looked at Joy curiously while smirking back at her best friend.

"Yer, I'll call you back. Love you." Joy suddenly ended the call with Yeri, and greeted Irene back with a firm hug.

"Unnie. It's so nice to see you again!"

"You always see me whenever you come down here, Joy." Irene laughed.

"Yes, but now it's just you and me. No hearings, no conferences. Best friend time." Joy looked so excited for their bonding time with Irene.

"Really? No more hearings? Conferences? Why? Did the great Park Sooyoung quit being a lawyer?"

"Ha ha. Funny Rene. I've got no hearings and conferences to attend to now because I am locked to an annoying client who gets on my nerves despite being a good friend."

"Let me meet that client of yours, Joy. Because of her we now have more time together!"

Joy could not believe this. She knows Irene was aware of all gossip and entertainment related articles around, but why wasn't she aware of her being Seulgi's lawyer? Despite of this, Joy smiled and said, "You know, Irene, no need to meet her. Because you know her. You really know her."

Irene's eyes became wide. She heard of Seulgi's success, read Seulgi's letters and accepted some of her gifts. "Seulgi? Seulgi's your client?"

"Yes, Unnie. Yeri and I, together with Lisa, Jeongyeon and Nayeon are on Seulgi's team. We help her, you know how she is." Joy grinned.

Irene was happy for Seulgi, and the rest of her friends too. They were all in New York, while she was alone in California, still in Med School but unhappy at the end of the day. There was awkward silence between the two, until Joy spoke up. "So, what have you been up to, Rene? How's Med School treating you?"

Irene assured Joy that she was doing a great job in Med School. She also informed Joy that she might be getting a chance to visit New York when she gets admitted to participate in a series of lectures to be held in New York. Irene updated Joy about everything, except for one. Bogum.

Joy was listening intently to Irene's stories, until she was cut off when a man hugged Irene from behind. Joy was staring at the man, he was good looking, rich and was also a medicine student. Irene was caught by surprise and had no choice but to introduce her boyfriend to her best friend.

"Joy, this is Bogum, my boyfriend. Bogum, this is Joy, my best friend." Irene smiled.

Bogum offered his hand and Joy gladly took it. Sensing that it was awkward, Bogum left Irene and told her that he'll see her in school.

Joy's mood shifted after meeting Bogum. Joy could not believe what happened. Irene had a boyfriend, while Seulgi was heart broken in New York. The wheels on Joy's head started spinning and her facial reactions showed that she was not happy.

"Joy. Are you okay? Are you still listening?" Irene was worried.

"Huh? Uh, yes. I am. SORRY. I did not know you had a boyfriend."

"Joy, it's okay. We just got together a week ago." Irene's statement made Joy snap.

"What did you say? A week ago? Irene? Are you out of your mind? You know that Seulgi's heartbroken in New York, while you, are being your happy giddy self over here!" Joy stood up from her chair, causing everyone in the restaurant to look at both of them.

"Joy. I'm sorry, okay? I couldn't help it. I was lonely. Brian was here. He kept me company."

"You were lonely? You had a choice, Irene. You should have stayed with Seulgi, with us. But what did you do? You have the option to go to Med School, but you did not have the option to cut Seulgi out your life. You promised her, Irene. You promised, and you broke it."

Irene was crying, Joy's words hit her hard. "Joy, listen to me. I wanted to stay with Seulgi, but this is my dream. You know that. Seulgi's living hers right now, why will I mess that up? I chose not to respond to her letters because I know it will be difficult for her to let go of me, to let go of the thought if us being together. I figured that it was the only way for her to move on from everything, Joy. I did not forget my promise, I was trying to forget it. There's a difference."

"Still. You should've told her Irene. Even in just one letter."

"I know, and I'm sorry."

Joy was angry, but being Seulgi's friend, she hugged Irene and made her stop crying. She knew that it was also hard for Irene as much as it was for Seulgi. She just wished that everything would be okay, and that Seulgi would eventually let go. And as for Irene, she hoped that Irene would make up her mind and realize that being with Seulgi and with all of the gang in New York can be her dream too.