Lockdown Problems (#1)

"Mumma, I want pizza."

"No Ishima, we will have something healthy. Salad?"

"Hum punjabi ghas-bhus nahi khathe. Butter chicken khayege, kyu Bhallaji?"
(We Punjabis no eat thsse grass like dish. What about butter chicken,  Bhallaji?)

"Aaiyo Vishwa, what will we have then?"

Ishita shook her head at her kids and the old ones behaving like kids. Leaving them to agree on one dish, she entered the kitchen.

She first opened the flour box only to realise there was not enough to make either pizza or paratha for all, she dismissed both the idea.

Its been days since chicken was finished thus butter chicken was also not an option.

She blankly looked at the fruits mocking at her.

There was two apples, three bananas, one pomegranate and handfull of spinach.

She mentally calculated the portion per head.

Two teenagers who eat like animals, one 6 year olds, her choosy husband, two brother-in-laws, one sister-in-law, one sister, two in-laws and her own parents. No way it was enough for 13 members.

Mentally smacking herself, she thought of odering out when the penny dropped. Its all locked outside. She herself had read the news how the police even closed the local groceries because of the crowd.

Thanking the online groceries, she added all the needfull to cart. She was about to conform her payment when a new notification poped up.

"Not enough money
You donot have enough money. Check your balance before you try again."

Looking the "Ok" button for few secinds, Ishita could not help but blink rapidly to stop the tears from flowing freely.

"Madrashan" her husband entered the kitchen.

"Haa" she replied smiling softly.

She was so engrossed on avoiding his gaze, she didn't realise when he came close to her. Snatching the cell phone from her, he placed his arms on her waist.

"Kya hua?" He tilted his head.
(What happened?)

"Kuch bhi tho nahi." She smiled.
(Nothing.)

"Kya dekh rahi thi phone mai? Chup chup ke mere photo sebaat kar rahi thi na?" He teased her with his signature smirk.
(What were looking in phone? Was talking to my pictire secretly?)

"Kuch bhi." Her usual remark made him chuckle.
(No way.)

"Dekheto sahi madam je kya kar rahi thi." He opened the lock.
(Lets see what was madam even doing?)

"Ishita" she turned her gaze avaiding his eyes.

"Kya hai yeh sab? Balance itna kam karke beth ta kya koi? Emergency hue tho? Aur who bhi yese time mai" The seriousness on his voice loud and clear.
(What is this? Who keeps balance this low? And that too in this situation?)

Taking out his mobile from other hand, he transferred a good amount on her account.

Ishita was still leaning toward him;  even though neither her body was  pressed to his nor his arms were supporting her. Placing his one arm on her waist again, he smiled at her.

Tucking her loose strands nicely, he peaked her forehead, "Chal sach sach bata kya kharida? Abhi tho lockdown cha raha hai. Jewellery shops bhi bad hai. Don't tell ki puri salary donate karde!"
(Ok leave all this, tell me honestly what did you buy? Whole town is in lockdown. Jewellery shops are also closed. Do.Not. tell me, you donated your whole salary?)

She shook her head.

"Khatam ho gaye." As he raised his eyebrow she continued "Ghar ke saman mein sab khatam ho gaye."

"PA . . ." Groaning at himself he lowered his voice, "Pagal hai kya? Batana tha na. Yese time pai koi balance zero karke rakhta hai. Mana ki ghar ke liye saman lena tha, le liya. Par bholna tho chahiyena."
(Are you out of your mind? Atleast you should have told me. Who keeps their balance zero in tine like this? I understand you needed to buy groceries, and you bought. But you should have told me.)

Ishita lowered her gaze.

He had once told her he felt unloved, used when Shagun used to demand things from him. And she did not want to remind him of his ex-wife. And Ishita did earn well, enough to manage the household. And as Raman used to pay the kids' fees, it has never been a problem. True she had no savings right now but it was okay.

"Ishita" pulling up her face softly with his forefinger "I know you earn well. Well enough to run the house effortlessly. But I also do earn for you guys, only. Let me serve some too, hmm!"

Ishita nodded softly. It only made sense if he wanted to take care of his family.

"And save some, invest some and mind you never keep your balance that low." He warned biting her cheek softly.

"Mumma, Papa, pathi soft soft idli bana rahi hai. Jaldi jaldi aao." They could hear Pihu running out of the door.
(Mumma, Papa, Grandma is maling soft soft Idli. Come soon.)

Raman made face hearing idlii. Ishita shook her head lovingly before giving a long jansi ki rani speech about manners, not checking others phone.

And if that lecture earned some deep, pasionate kisses from her husband, give them some privacy. They deserve it. Waise bhi show pe tho milta nahi.

*****

You know what to do for the next part ;-).

Regards
~Gia