4. Joey the Poguie

Working at the wreck is really nice. It's a sure way to get my mind off everything. But I don't work with Kie as much as I used to with how our schedules work. Speaking of, look who just walked in the door. The 4 pogues themselves. They all waved at me as they took a seat down in one of the booths. 

"Hey guys, what can I get started for you?" I asked as I made my way over. They all chuckled.

"Don't worry about it, Kodi, just water for us all and that's it," Kiara smiled over at me. I returned the smile and got all of them waters. 

Kiara's POV

"Yesterday was crazy. I can't believe her brother almost died like that," John B said.

"You guys aren't looking at the important facts. She's single." JJ said. I just rolled my eyes and scoffed. 

"Ok then, if that's what matters to you then go ahead, make a move. Right here. Right now." I said. JJ immediately shut up. He was all talk and no action when it came to talking about girls. 

"Yeah, bubba!" John B reaches over to put an arm over JJ's shoulder. "I think you should make a move! I'm not saying you should mack on her but get your urges out, man. I swear, every girl you meet your like ..... uhhhhhh" We all laugh as John B makes weird kissy faces to make fun of JJ. 

"You know what? Fine! I'll make a move." We all watch silently as he hesitates to get up and talk. He calls Kodi over as if we were about to order.  

"Hey, Kodi! Come over here!" She looks over weirdly, I would too. JJ hasn't been the nicest to her either. She makes her way over.

"Get I get a coke on the rocks with a side of your phone number?" We all try our hardest to hold in a chuckle. Kodi just raises her eyebrows unamused. 

"Um..... sure on the coke, and my phone isn't working right now until we get a new plan so.... no." She awkwardly rubs the back of her neck. "Can I get you guys anything else or is it just the coke?" 

"You know what, just forget the coke. Loverboy over here was just messing around." John B says. A blush grows on JJ's face as we all start teasing him, even Kodi laughs. 

"Well hey, if it makes you feel any better. I'm sure a lot of girls would go for.... that," Kodi gestures to JJ. JJ raises his eyebrows, oh boy. 

"Oh yeah? I-" 

"Hey, we'll probably be here when you get off work today, wanna hang out then?" I cut JJ off. Kodi smiles and nods going back to work. 

"Real smooth, JJ, real smooth."  We continue to laugh at JJ's poor attempt and move on to other topics. 

Kodi's POV

After a few minutes, they began chatting while I continue restocking everything and whipping down the counters. Then out of nowhere, the dick squad comes in, Topper, Rafe, and Sarah, and another guy who I haven't met yet. 

"Oh hey, Joey the Poguie is here!" Topper yells. I just roll my eyes and ignore them, Sarah chuckles along. 

"Ah the rumors are right, Top, the Aussie is a beauty. It's damn shame she's a dirty Pogue," the third guy says, "I'm Kelce, mate! I'll see you hoppin' along the marsh yeah?" They all laugh as Kelce pretends to jump like a kangaroo. I'm sorry but they could make a lot better jokes, so I'm not too offended. My eyes flashed to a slight movement over by the table with Kie. JJ, I think his name was, had an angry fist and was sending death glares their way. Jeez, if looks could kill. It was then when we made eye contact and I quickly moved my eyes somewhere else. I continued to ignore them and move on to my work, but if the counter wasn't between us I don't know what would have happened. 

"Hey! Will you just back off?" Kie stands up. Now, I'll get involved. Rafe comes up to challenge Kie. 

"What did you say to me? You want me to... back off?" Rafe gives Kiara a light push on her shoulders enough to make her take a step back. 

"What the fuck, Rafe!" Pope stands as well and moves in between Rafe and Kie. I make my way into the mess and push Rafe lightly away. 

"Hey now, guys if someone gets hurt then I'm gonna have to be the one to call 911 and deal with all that so let's do us all a favor and move on, yeah?" I then turn my attention to Kelce who stood next to Rafe, "There's no need to bugger up someone's day and bust up a fight alright, mate?" Wow, it's been a while since I've said that much Aussie lang. To my surprise, it worked! Both the two groups move along with dirty glances to each other and all is well. 

"You ok, Kie?"

"Yeah thanks, you shouldn't let them treat you like that though," she says back to me. 

"Don't sweat it, it's not worth my time anyway," We both smile and I return back to work. 

After my shift at the wreck, all 4 of them were sitting outside. 

"Hey! How was work?" John B saw me and asked. 

"It was ok, these 4 idiots were sitting in one of the booths and just ordered water. Like what??" We all laughed at my joke and they began walking, expecting me to come along. 

"Um, I actually think I'm gonna call it a day. I should probably check on my dad." I said as they all turned towards me. 

"All good, we were gonna do the same but at the chateau." Pope said.

"The chateau?" I asked. 

"It's John B's house. His dad used to call it the chateau before he...." That was when everyone went silent. I'll have to ask about that later. 

"Gotcha." I smiled to lighten the frown that was put on John B's face. "I'll catch you guy's later." We waved and said our goodbyes. 

Once I got home, Luke was off god knows where and I hear slight sobbing coming from the porch. My dad was crying with a beer in one hand and a picture of my mom in the other. I didn't know what to do so I went up and hugged him. He just sobbed harder. 

A few moments go by and he seemed to calm down. 

"Dad..... why did mom leave?" I pull back to face him. He looks up with an expression that held a million emotions. 

"She..... was having an affair. When I found out I wanted to talk it out and move on, but she had fallen in love with the man." He began to sob harder. I know he loved her with all his heart. I always knew my mom loved me but part of her love was always somewhere else. One foot in the door and there out. I just thought she was stressed with work. 

"I'm so sorry, dad." We continued to hug and spent the rest of the night in the hammocks playing the ukelele and singing our favorites songs. This was something we did before my mom left, so I'm glad to see progress to the new normal. Luke came home later that night to see us in the hammocks, slightly tipsy and singing the song "What A Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong. He, of course, took a beer for himself and began to yell the lyrics with us and joined me on my hammock.