21. Rocky Waters

As we joined the shore, we began to look for our little group. There was some yelling coming from close by, someone must've gotten in a drunk fight. As we made our way over, we realized it was Sarah, John B, and Topper, with Pope and Kie behind John B as they all were yelling at each other. 

"Woah hey! What's going on here?" I yell over them. Man, I really feel like the mom busting someone's party right now. 

"It's fine, everything's fine," Sarah said with tears on her cheeks. I knew something was unfinished with her and Topper. 

"Did you know she was still with me when you decided to take her on that date?" Topper ignored my interruption and got up in John B's face. Okay, I see now, Sarah didn't cut it off with Topper right away. John B threw a punch at Topper and Sarah tried to stop the fight but ended up almost getting hit by the two boys who were now tackling each other to the ground. It reminds me of Jamie and I, thank god she left back to Australia when her vacation ended. If she stayed any longer I think I might've gone crazy. I pulled Sarah back to avoid her getting hit. 

Rafe and Kelce began to join in and held John B up, letting Topper hit him continuously. At this point, Kie and Sarah were both yelling at them to stop and Pope and JJ were more than ready to step in. 

"Are you serious?" I screamed as loud as I could. They stopped for only to moment at the sudden noise. "You're really going to think that 3 against 1 is fair? It just makes you look pathetic. That you couldn't stand one on one." Really? That's what I choose to say? At this point, I'm making it worse but for the moment he stopped hitting John B so I feel accomplished. 

"Oh is Mama Joey here to save the day? Trying to stop the boys from hurtin' each other, ey?" Rafe said in an overextended Australian accent. I just glare as he gets up close. "You know... I really meant it when I said you were hot for a dirty little Pogue. How do you think your little boyfriend would feel if I kissed you right here, right now." He whispered into my ear, just loud enough for a few people to hear. I grit my teeth, I felt disgusted by him. JJ lunged from next to me and punched Rafe. 

"Don't fucking talk to her like that." He said as he and Rafe began to get in a fistfight. Pope took this initiative to join in and just like that all 6 of the boys were fighting. This is getting ridiculous. JJ was holding his own as expected but it still hurt to watch him get hit every now and then by Rafe. JJ lost control of the situation and Rafe was holding him by his neck in a hold. I went up to Rafe from behind and jumped his back to get him to loosen his grip. He wouldn't budge. That was when I began to tickle him slightly and he loosened his grip, letting JJ out of the hold as he gasped for air. I fell off of his back and on to the sand. John B and JJ had beaten faces along with Rafe and Topper. Sarah intervened with John B and Topper as she cried for them to stop. She held Topper away and cried apologies mixed with angry remarks when she saw how much he hurt John B. JJ began to lunge for Rafe once more but I got in between them. 

"I'm over it, it's okay. We're done, JJ. We're done here." I pulled him away from Rafe as he began to calm down. 

"He shouldn't get away with treating you like that," JJ said glaring at Rafe. 

"We're done with it, I'm passed it," I said trying to drop the conversation. Sarah had managed to separate the two other boys while Kie had Pope under her arm while he wore a soon to be a black eye.  

"I'm gonna take John B to my house for the night... are you guys gonna be okay?" She looked at Pope and JJ. We all nodded, leaving the couple to figure out their own situation. I doubt John B is mad at her for not cutting it off sooner. I mean, he knew she was with Topper the whole time. I'm guessing John B is more so mad that Topper has been harassing her about it. 

"Let's call it a night guys," Kie says. Clearly annoyed with the kook's trashing the beach with the last-minute party. "I don't wanna be here anymore." Kie and Pope made their way to Kie's car. They were assuming that JJ was getting a ride with me back home because they didn't wait up for me or JJ. 

I walked with JJ to my car in silence. Why didn't we just stay at the surf, away from the world that was on the shore. 

The drive to JJ's house was a quiet one. I was uncertain that it was the right decision to bring him back to his house after what I witnessed with his dad, but I wasn't if he'd be comfortable staying at my house either. I know my dad wouldn't mind, and at this time of night, he'd be dead asleep. I make the decision to bring him to my house. I wouldn't have slept right if I had brought him back to that house knowing I could be putting him in a dangerous situation. I pulled into the driveway of my house and parked the car. 

"What are you-" JJ started. 

"I don't feel comfortable letting you sleep at your dad's house tonight. And, It's been lonely lately without Luke around. If you want me to take you to your house just say the word." I say directly. I didn't want to pressure him to stay. 

"Kodi Johnson, are you asking me to stay the night?" JJ smiles slightly. I just roll my eyes and turn towards my house. JJ walking behind. 

We entered the house that was dead silent, my dad passed out on the couch. I grab JJ's hand and bring him to my room. It was barely decorated, mainly because I wasn't planning on making a home here in the first place. I had few pictures of Luke, me, and the boys from home laying around and I had my bed and surfboard in the corner. Everything else was still boxed up, even my clothes. I can't bring myself to unpack. Not because I'm lazy. But because I'm still ready to go back home.  Silence filled the room as JJ looked around at the pictures and boxes. 

"I'm so sorry JJ... It's my fault that you got beat up again. It's my fault that the adventure was hardly an adventure and more of a nightmare. Everything got ruined." I began to build up the tears in my eyes. I was really excited for tonight in all honesty. Night surfing was something I did with my friends all the time back at home and I guess, in a way, this was me trying to make this place seem like home. JJ made his way over to me and sat next to me on my bed. 

"Kodi, shit happens. It's not your fault they came. It's not your fault I fought Rafe. None of this is your fault." He said bringing me in for a side hug. I feel exhausted from everything that's happened. I just found out in a day that I'm pretty sure I have feelings for JJ and that he's getting abused by his dad and that Sarah technically cheated on Topper. And the top it off, JJ is in my room spending the night with me. I lay down on my back and pull JJ by his arm next to me. I'm being real ballsy here. My original plan was to have him sleep in Luke's old room. 

"Thank you for standing up for me," I whispered. It meant a lot to me when JJ fought Rafe for some stupid thing he said. I feel like everyone just wants to be cared for and loved a huge way people show is by sticking up for people and being on their side. It's all I could ever ask for of someone. 

"Always, Joey." I grin at the nickname that I've grown to love.