19. Breaking Waves

A/N: I owe many of you a huge apology. When I first started writing this, I said I would publish 1-2 new chapters every day. But I took a 3-day break from this story.

Please feel free to give me feedback on the story so far <3 I hope to continue this story till the end!

As we got back from the set up with Kiara and Sarah, I headed straight home. I didn't tell my dad what the plan was because I wasn't aware that I was spending the night on the boat as well so I worried he'd be worried. Back at home, Luke and I would go and party lots of nights and not come back till the next day, but the difference here was that I was gone with Luke and now I'm just gone alone.

I walked inside the house and found my dad sitting on the porch with a sketchbook and a coffee.

"You're back early, I thought you worked from early morning to late afternoon?" I ask sitting down with him to see what he was drawing.

"Yeah, this morning one of our nets was caught in something and so we spent all morning untangling them and cutting out clots. It was all trash that was stuck in them. By the time we got done, it was too late to go out." He explained. He was drawing my mom on the shore with me and Luke in her arms. Oh boy... not this again. I sigh and get up.

"That's good. Last night I stayed with Kiara and Sarah and had a little sleepover." My dad smiles at the thought.

"Ah! I forgot to tell you! Yesterday afternoon when I got back from work I went down to the mainland. I've been talking with an old buddy of mine who runs the ferry and he said he had a car that he didn't need and wanted to give to us to use!" My dad exclaims. My eye widen. My own car? I mean, Dad could use it too but. Damn. Luke is gonna be so jealous. I squeal and run into his arms. "Any plans for the day?" He asked.

"I was probably gonna go for a surf later tonight. I wanna go night surfing." I say all giddy. I love night surfing. I have a surfboard specifically for night surfing. When I was in middle school, I took the lights off my light up sketches and super glued them to the bottom of my board and it worked! Now when I surf at night with that board, I give it a nudge and it lights up and looks so cool! Dad just rolls his eyes.

"Just be careful. Are you going with JJ Maybank by any chance?" He asked out of the blue. I furrow my eyebrows.

"Yeah.... probably. Why do you ask?"

"His dad was by the fishing boats this morning. Turns out he works for the same fishing line as I do but on a different boat. We talked a bit this morning and I let his use my pocket knife at some point. He and I talked about getting it back but he works for another boat on the other side of the island so I don't know when the next time I'll see him is. If your picking that boy up you should pop in and ask for it. It's my favorite pocket knife." He gave me a pouty face. I scoffed. Does he think I'm his errand girl or something? I nod regardless and head to my room to get a fresh swimsuit on for the surf. As I left I was stopped by a gift from the gods.

A stunning, dirt-covered, forest green outback Subaru. Probably over ten years old but she still has a ways to go. This car. This car has seen some things. I love her.

I get in and find the keys lying in the ignition. Classic Australian thing to do. We should really not get in that habit since we're in America now though. I start the car and head for the wreck to see if anyone was there. I really need to get a phone.

I pop in the wreck in my swim shorts and rashguard ready to surf. Kie was working as she always is, Pope was sitting on the barstool talking with her. John B and Sarah were nowhere to be found. Damn, I can only imagine what they could be doing.