17. Sting like a Jellyfish

After our plan-making for the boat ride tomorrow, I decided to call it a night and head home. 

"Hey, do you want a ride?" JJ asks as I make my way to the door. I think for a moment. It's really not that far of a walk. Maybe JJ wanted to talk and that's why he offered? I nod and we head out saying goodbye to John B.

We hop on the bike and I put my hair up to avoid a mess of hair flopping in my face like last time. 

"I like you with your hair down." JJ smiles and messes with my hair, pulling it out of the hold. I scoff. 

"Thanks but I like my hair out of my face." I smile at the compliment. I knew JJ had a sweet side, I've really been missing out. He starts up the bike and tells me to hold on. I start to direct him to my house. 

For the short ride, It was nice to not think about anything and just enjoy the wind in my face. It reminded me of surfing, something I've regrettably haven't been doing as much lately. I hug JJ's waist tighter at the thought. I really need to get back out there if I ever want to get back in the competition. I gave him the final turn to my house. Coming to a stop at the Surf Shack as I call it.  

I hop off his bike and say a quick goodbye

I hop off his bike and say a quick goodbye. I'm stopped by JJ. 

"Kodi, I'm sorry for my outburst earlier," JJ says, rubbing the back of his neck. I smile. I turn back and walk up to him. 

"You're fine, I was a hothead myself." I smile and kiss him on the cheek. Something I've seen Kie do on many occasions with John B. It's also something I do with the boys back at home. I turn around and walk towards the front door. 

"I like your house, Joey," JJ yells from the bike. I just bite my lip to hide the smile that was forming and kept walking. I love that nickname. I hate it, but I love it. "I'll pick you up tomorrow for the boat ride, okay?" I send him an okay sign and walk inside. I could hear him starting up his bike and leaving. My dad must've just gotten back because he was still in swim trunks and with a grin on his face. 

"Caught some good waves today, you wouldn't believe it." He was so happy. "I've got something to show you, come here." He waved for me to follow him to the deck. There laid 2 worn out surfboards and an assortment of paints. "A guy I work with said he used to surf but doesn't anymore and he had 2 surfboards he wasn't using. I figured it would be a fun project for us this summer to paint them. Give 'em some color and design." He smiled at me. I hugged him hard. 

"Dad! This is so dope!" I grabbed the boards, inspecting them. We'd have to strip the top layer before we start. 

"I'm glad you like it. I'm gonna start some dinner while you work on those. Save one for me!" 

I grab one of the boards and start stripping the topcoat with a sanding tool. I'm thinking about making it have some designs that remind me of home and a few that remind me of the pogues here.