12. Goodbye, Mate

The next two days went by faster than I could have ever imagined. Luke and I spent everyday surfing and boating around. Every night was drinking, laughing, and singing on the porch. 

I hadn't talked with anyone else except Kie and a few other customers when we worked together at the Wreck. It was a good time to recharge. 

It was now the last night before Luke was going to leave in the morning. We sat on the beach looking at the sunset. 

"Are you excited to go back?" I ask. 

"Yeah actually... I can't wait to go back to the band and-"

"For things to go back to normal?" I cut him off.

"Kodi, if things were back to normal, you and dad would be there with me." I nod.  "Wanna call the boys and see how they're doing?" Luke asked. I nodded my head, preparing myself to see old friends. 

The dinging of the facetime call rang through my ears, in competition with how loud my heart was pounding. Finally, all 3 of them answer. 

"Hey!!!!!!! Kodi!!!!!!" I smile at the faces on the screen. All three of my favorite boys, Calum with the short black hair, Ashton with freshly dyed and trimmed black hair, and Michael with a full rainbow of bleached colors on his mop of a head. "How's North Carolina?" The name rolling off their Aussie tongues with a twang. 

"It's not too bad actually. It definitely feels like a small town, nothing like Melbourne or Sydney." I said. 

"By the way, Luke, the apartment is all ready for us to move in to," Calum said. 

"Well, if you guys need help moving in I can pack myself in a suitcase pretty well and be on my way over!" I joked, Luke chuckled and messed up my hair. 

"We miss you, Kodi, when are you coming back?" Michael pouted. Now that's a clingy koala if I ever saw one. 

"Probably as soon as I get the chance," I answer honestly. 

"I don't know about that, she's made so many friends since we moved here," Luke says. "So don't go pushing her to be an anti-social." We all laugh. 

"Oh? Tell us bout your friends!" Ashton shouts. 

"Well... there's Kiara, I work with her at this cute place called the Wreck. She and I weren't really good friends at first but we figured it out. She is also against climate change and is the only girl friend I have around here." I start. 

"Kodi, you're not telling us the vital details. Is she cute?" Ashton says. Oh no, there's two JJ's in our mist. I laugh his comment off to the side. 

" She's too good for you, mate. And then there's John B, yes we say the full thing, he's like a second Luke to me. His dad disappeared at sea 9 months ago and his mom split so his house is like party city." 

"Hey, no one can replace me." Luke nudges my shoulder. 

"Then there's Pope, he was the first one who really talked to me here. Very sweet kid, the genius of the group. Totally has a thing for Kie, in my opinion. I honestly thought he had a thing for me because he was so nice when we first met."  I get a couple oh's from the boys as they tease me. I just roll my eyes. 

"Last but not least, we have JJ. A loveable asshole, just like you Ashton." Ashton put a hand over his heart acting like he just got a grammy award. "JJ is a weird guy. I never know if he likes to hang out with me or doesn't." I admit. 

Luke smiles, "I thought you guys were friends?" 

"I don't know if you'd call it friends... Oh My God!!! You'll never guess who came here on vacation." I say

"Um... Justin Beiber?" 

"Why does everyone always say that..... nevermind. It was Jamie Reed!" I yell.

"What? Why would she go there?" Calum asked. Me and Luke shrugged. 

"But the best part is, they had a rematch on the surf the other day and Kodi and her got in a fight right on the beach. There was a crowd and everything!" Luke says excitedly. 

"If Luke hadn't pulled me back, I would've really sent her to the E.R." I pretend to be a boxer. 

"Oh, I'm sure you would have, Kodi. I'm glad you've made so many friends there." Calum smiled. What a dad, right?

"You sure do always make friends with the boys. Do you fancy anyone?" Michael peeped in. 

"No no, I will admit they all aren't too bad looking. And I've had my moments with um... JJ and stuff. But I don't fancy anyone." They all looked at me skeptically. "Seriously! I don't!" 

"Whatever you say, Kodi." Ashton teased. "Has Luke told you about the son-" 

"Alright guys, I'll see you tomorrow at the airport when I land right?"  Luke cuts him off. I gave him a glance as they said their goodbyes and ended the call.  

"What was Ashton going on about?" I ask. 

"What is Ash ever going on about? That's a question I will never be able to answer." I laugh, he's not wrong. 

"Seriously though, you don't fancy a single one in that group?" Luke says shocked. 

"You think I do?" I ask. 

"Well, I would've said there might've been some chemistry between you and John B or maybe even JJ after what you told me happened after the fight. But hey, you and Kiara would be cute too, I'm just sayin'." I laugh, me and Kie would be the power couple of the century, let's be honest. 

"I can see why you'd think that. The thought crossed my mind, but I don't think we'd work out. And they have this rule I've heard a few times. No Pogue on Pogue macking." Luke says silent looking at me. 

Moments go by and he finally says something. 

"Well, that's a stupid rule if I ever heard one." 

Author's Note:

If you're frustrated with the lack of Kodi and JJ interaction... I promise I have plans :) 

I'm trying to focus on getting the reader attached to Kodi before I involve JJ. Along with getting the other characters attached so it would seem like a more realistic relationship between them all.

Please let me know what you guys think so far! I love feedback <3