16. High Tide

I decided to confront JJ about messing with Pope. It's all his fault for Pope being mad at me in the first place. And him teasing Pope just makes things worse for both of them. I said my goodbye to Pope as I made my way from the Heyward's Seafood Shack to the Chateau. 

Once I arrived I saw JJ and John B out on the HMS Pogue a few feet out from the bay near his house. I try to wave them down but they didn't see me at first.  After a while, John B caught sight of me and moved the boat towards me. 

"What are you doing here? I thought you were working at the wreck?" John B asks. 

"We were slow business so Kie and I got off early. Could I talk to JJ for a sec?" I ask. JJ looks over at me as he stays sitting in the boat. John B looks for approval and JJ nods. walking the boat to the shore. JJ isn't getting out of the boat so I hop in and sit near him. John B pushes the boat outward while he runs back to the house laughing. 

"What are ya doin' man!" JJ yells.  I guess I appreciated the privacy but he didn't have to go and do that. JJ goes up to start the boat back up and pull us in but I stop him. 

"Wait, I wanted to talk." I start. 

"About?" JJ turns to me sitting back down. I huff at how hard it is to stay calm. We did kiss last night after all. Things aren't exactly normal. 

"I want you to stop teasing Pope. Regardless of if he's trying to mack on someone, I can tell it bothers him when you say shit." 

"Pope and I have always been like that with each other. John B and Kiara have their moments when they tease him too." JJ defends himself. 

"Pope doesn't like it dude that's all I'm trying to say. And I don't like to see him hurt."

"Are you and him a thing or something now?" JJ dryly laughs. "I know he's had a soft spot for you since day one so it would make sense." 

"JJ, no. Why are you trying to flip this around? Why are you even interested in who he's macking on? It's like you're obsessed. You know the rule JJ." We both are ignoring last night. 

"Well maybe I'm just trying to forget the stupid rule even exist okay?" He snaps getting close to me. I take a step back from the heated boy in front of me. 

"Why? You like someone or something? Kie?" I pull it back on him. If he can say that me and Pope could be a thing, I'll give him a taste of his own medicine. 

"If I did then why would I kiss you Kodi!" 

"I don't know JJ, why would you?" I need to get an answer. "Just... talk to me okay?" I calm down. I didn't even realize that we were both yelling. JJ walks to the other side of the boat and runs his hands through his hair over and over again. After a few moments, he turns to me. 

"I'm sorry Kodi... I shouldn't have done that last night. I fucked up." He says just above a whisper. A faint voice crack could be found in his apology. I can't stand seeing him this way. I know he's a good guy. Good guys can be assholes sometimes too. I walk up and hug him. He hesitated but returned the hug. 

"It's okay, JJ. I feel like you have a lot going on in your life right now and I need to understand this. You are my friend, whether you like it or not, and I'm always going to be here for you, Just talk to me." 

"Right... friends." He mumbled, letting go of me. "We should probably go back. I'll stop dinking around with Pope if it bothers you so much." 

"JJ-" I was cut off by him starting the engine of the HMS pogue toward the bay of the chateau where he hopped out and brought the boat inward. Before I could even say anything else he stormed off inside. I scoffed. What did I say?