9. Hidden Horizon

Just when I thought I was alone in bliss. I heard a faint paddling of someone towards me. Luke, I thought you learned along time ago that when your sister needs alone time you give her the f-ing alone time. I sat up to see who had come towards me. 

"JJ?" 

"Yeah... You um.... you good?" He asks. Flashbacks to the boat incident made a blush creep up on my neck. 

"Honestly? I've had better moments." We sat in silence for a while. It was nice. Something I've noticed is that it's really easy to feel alone in a room full of people, yet really hard to feel alone when you're with someone at the right moment. 

"Do you wanna talk about it?" JJ asks. I shrugged. We sat in silence listening to the ocean as the tide pulled in and out. 

"JJ, tell me about yourself," I demanded. He stared at each other for a moment.

"Well, I'm broke and have 3 best friends, Kiara, Pope, John B." 

"Aww, what about me?" I batted my eyelashes playfully, I wasn't offended. I knew they had a set up before I came. 

"You're something else, Joey," JJ says after a moment of thought. Jeez, what even are we? Acquaintances? "Before you go and ask, I'm still trying to figure it out for myself so don't ask." I frown. Well isn't he a ball of sunshine. I waited for him to continue on. 

"I mow the lawns around the island and clean boats for money. I smoke the ickies of stickies and nuts," he added and we both chuckle. 

"Tell me about your family," I ask. I know something's there. 

"Pope, Kie, John B. They're my family." 

"What about-" 

"They're my family." He cut me off. Clearly, that topic is off grounds. A few moments go by where we don't say anything. 

"My mom left when I was little. My father blames me for it and so we don't really have a good relationship." I sucked in a breathe. Damn, has everyone in this friend group lost their mom? JJ stops talking, not wanting to share any more information. 

"Thanks for opening up to me about that." JJ just nods in response. 

"Alright, what happened today?" He said. An eye for an eye. I guess I had to tell someone at some point. 

"That girl was Jamie Reed. We've been competing against each other ever since we were little. Something I hadn't talked about for a while is that before we moved here, I messed up a surf meet. 

This surf meet wasn't like all the others. This was the one with scouts crawling on every spot on the beach. The one that could send the finalist to world championships. Of course, there were so many people there I wasn't getting my hopes up on making it to World but I was more than ready to be scouted.

 Unfortunately, I was having a bad day. April 26th, the same day my mom left 4 years ago. My dad was a wreck and Luke was having his first gig opening for a big artist. It was such a big day, I remember how nervous Luke and I were, nervous for the surf meet, concert, and for my dad. Every year on that day, he just isn't the same. Everything was so overwhelming and the stress was on.

Long story short, I was doing really well. I was sure to get something out of this meet. Jamie and I had both made it to the finalist. It was in the last heat when I blew it. I couldn't catch a single wave because I was so aggressive about every I  was doing that I couldn't go through with the tricks I had planned. Eventually, I wiped out and got stuck in the impact zone. I couldn't get up out of the water. Finally, one of the lifeguards came to pull me out but by then the heat was over. So was the competition. I had not only lost the spot in world but I barely got scouted by anyone. All my friends in the meet moved on to higher ranks while I stayed where I was. I didn't even have Luke or my Dad there to cheer me on or drive me home." I said, slightly tearing up. 

JJ listened to every word intently. 

"Kodi, that's bullshit. I've seen you shred out there. You have what it takes to get up there. It sounds like the only person holding you back is yourself." JJ said. I guess he was right, as much as I hate to admit it. "If it helps... you'll always have me, Pope, Kie, and JB in the crowd to cheer you on." He smiled. I muttered thanks. 

"JJ, why did you come and check up on me? You even said it yourself, we aren't friends." I ask. 

"Cause...... as I said. You're something else." JJ said. Smooth... 

And of course, of all the times in the world to check him out. I had to do it after I tell him my life story. I can't help myself though. He's shirtless, washboard abs, sunset lighting, with a smile that holds a rarity which makes you appreciate it even more. It was getting dark anyway so might as well end the day on a good note. 

"Come on, it's getting darker by the minute. You know... you're not too bad looking without a shirt, JJ," I said to him a wink and start paddling to shore as fast as I could. I can't believe I just did that.