15. Clear Waters

After last night's boneyard bash, we ended up all crashing at John B's. I woke up with a pounding headache. The memories of the night came to me in a blurry fashion. I take in my surroundings. Me on the couch. Kie next to me still past out. Pope on the floor, slowly coming too as well. JJ and John B are probably in the other room. I start to recall everything that happened. Truth or drink. Jamie. The fight..... JJ. I felt a blush creep on my face and a wave of nausea. 

I stumble up from the couch and began to walk towards the front door. After everything that happened, I just want to go home and try to process. On my way to the front door, I see John B walking out of one of the other rooms. I wave as he notices me. 

"Hey, you feelin' better?" He asks. 

"Yeah, sorry again. I'm really not a violent person."

"Don't worry about it, we all have our moments." He really does remind me of Luke. 

"Hey, things are still a little blurry from last night. Catch me up?" I gotta see if he saw something. 

"Well, we played truth or drink but nothing really happened. You beat the shit out of Jamie, and you and JJ talked in the car. That's about it." He explained. 

"Gotchu..." 

"It looked like JJ helped you out," John B smirked. Oh shit. Okay, two people can play this game.

"Yeah, did Topper see you and Sarah sneak off?" I say. John B's smirk quickly turned to a concerned frown. 

"Fair enough. Where are you heading off to?" He changes the subject. 

"I'm gonna go home. I wanna be with my dad for a bit." John B nods and walks off to check on the others. At least he didn't seem disappointed in me for what happened.  

As I got home, my dad was on the porch looking out at the marsh with a coffee in hand. He's been doing this a lot I've noticed. 

"Hey dad... How ya doin'?" I ask, sitting next to him. 

"I'm doin' good, kid, I'm doin' good." We sit in silence for a while. 

"Still waiting for another wave on the horizon to surf or have you found one?" I ask him. Hoping he'd remember what he told me all those years ago. 

"Still waiting. But let me tell you, I feel a good one coming. She'll be worth the wait." He says, smiling out at the horizon. 

"Dad

"Dad... are you happy?" I ask, my voice cracking. 

"Sweetheart, I'm doing fine. I wanted to tell you the other day that I found a good job interview. A good fishing job for the mornings. You know, that was my first job as a kid growing up here. It'll surely bring back lots of memories." He smiles. 

"That's great, dad. I'm so happy for you." I hug him tightly. 

"I might be gone more often, especially in the mornings, so don't miss me too much." He says with a chuckle. "And I wanna meet these friends of yours soon. They sound like a good bunch."