6. Alongshore

I woke up with a smile. I finally found a semi-stable friend group. I hopped out of bed and got ready for the day. Seeing how gorgeous it was outside, I went out to the deck where Luke was passed out on the hammock and my dad was in one of the lounge chairs with a cup of coffee in his hand. He looked content. I think him telling me about mom lessened the weight on his shoulders. 

"Hey ya little ankle bitter, isn't it a bit early for you to be up?" He said to me. I miss this. I miss that smile. I don't I realized just how much I missed it. 

"Dad, it's like 8 am, a lot of people are up." 

"Says the girl who has a record of sleeping in till 3 pm." He has a point. I was really tired after a surf meet when I was stuck in the impact zone and get banged up. 

"Whatever... I'm gonna go for a morning surf, wanna join?" He hasn't gone surfing since mom left. It's worth a try though, things seem different. 

"No thanks, sweetie. I'm gettin' a bit too old to do that."

"Wasn't it you who told me surfing has no age restriction?" I remembered being too young to join my first surfing competition back home and being bumped about it, but it was my dad who cheered me up. I made my way to the shore. 

I got there just in time, the waves were smooth as hell. No one else was out there even though it was a typical time for fishing boats and other surfers. That was until I heard two voices in the distance. Just my luck, of all the people to show up. It was my two new buddies, JJ and John B. They didn't see me quite yet but they were paddling towards my direction. Finally, John B caught my gaze so I waved them over. 

"Kodi, you're stealing all the good waves this morning, aren't ya?" John B said. 

"Hey, what can I say, early bird gets the worm!" I laughed. We caught a couple more smaller waves since the surf wasn't at its peak. There's a moment when we were at a standstill because there weren't any waves on the horizon, so we sit on our boards in the water. 

"Hey, I wanted to uh

"Hey, I wanted to uh .... ask you something. If you don't want to talk about it, I'd understand." I rubbed the back of my neck. 

"Shoot." John B said. 

"What happened to your dad?" John B sucked in a breathe and JJ's eyes shot towards me. 

"He uh, he went missing at sea 9 months ago. Like, who goes missing at sea these days right?" He tried to pop a joke but I was ready to hear more. 

"I mean, I still think he's alive, to be honest. My mom, on the other hand, split when I was 3. So I'm legally under the supervision of my uncle T who is off building houses in Michigan." 

"I'm sorry.... about your parents." Damn, I'm one to talk. I still have my dad around at least. 

"Hey", John B nudged my shoulder, "don't worry about it. I'm not too bummed." We both smiled. 

"That would explain why no one 's ever at your house," I said, "You must party a lot." We laughed for a bit at that comment. 

Suddenly a splash of water slammed into my face. JJ started splashing us with water. 

"Dude! What the fuck!" John B laughed, splashing him as well. 

All of a sudden, it turned into all three of us splashing each like a bunch of little kids. 

"Hey, we're gonna pick up Kie and Pope soon to go for a boat ride after this, wanna come?" John B asked once the splash war was over. 

"I don't know, I don't wanna barge in on your guy's plans," I said.

"I think you should come." Me and John B shot our heads over to JJ. 

"Ok... sure" I smiled at him. He, surprising me even more, smiled back. Up to this point, he just seemed like an annoying flirt. Maybe this kid isn't too bad after all. 

Since the surf wasn't picking up anytime soon, we made our way back to the shore where John B had parked his car. 

"If you drove over, wanna leave your car here and I can just drop you off later on?" John B said. 

"No worries, I walked here," I said. The two boys stopped and turned. 

"You walked? Do you live nearby?" JJ asked. 

"Eh... a good 15-minute walk or so," I responded. They both shook it off as we made our way to his car. 

They pulled up to the chateau where the HMS Pogue stood in all its glory at bay. We got in and began our kidnapping of Kie and Pope. 

We successfully grabbed the two and began through the marsh. Kie brought some alcoholic juice boxes so we were all very relaxed. We all were soaking up the sun. 

"Ok Kie, you know how to play Kill, Fuck, Marry, right?" I ask

"Of course I do." She laughs. 

"Ok Ok,... Topper, Rafe, and Kelce?" I start. She makes a face of disgust, understandably. 

"Hmm, that's tough. Kill Rafe.... oh gosh. I'm stuck there dude. What about you?" We both laugh. I'm glad we share a hatred for them. 

"Hm... Kill Kelce, fuck Rafe, marry Topper. If the world was ending and we were the only ones on the planet of course." I say. Kie laughs. 

"Ew.... why those options though?" Pope said, joining in. 

"Ok Pope, you and me babe, Kiara, John B, and Topper." Of course, JJ is itching for Pope to marry Kie. 

"Pff easy man, Kill Top, Fuck John B, love you Brosky, and uh... marry Kie. Cause she's the only girl." John B sends an air kiss to Pope and JJ grins. Kiara just dismisses it.  "It's just a game, man." Pope rolls his eyes at John B and look's over at Kie to see her reaction. 

"He's right, it's just a game, guys. Ok Kodi, fuck marry kill: John B, JJ, and Pope?" Kiara said to me. 

This is going to be an interesting boat ride.