20. Moonlit Wave

As JJ and I sat in each other's company, we watch the sun go down into the sky; Kissing the horizon. It hit me. 

Sundown? I'm supposed to meet everyone for our adventure at 6!

"JJ! I forgot! Everyone is meeting us at the boneyard right now!" I jump up, startling him. I still can't believe this bad boy cuddled with me.   

"Wait Why?" He asked confused. I smirked. 

"I have an adventure planned." 

We drove to the boneyard with the help of JJ as our GPS. Pulling up I saw the gang waiting for us by the van. 

"Why hello my little opossums," I say with a grin as I stepped out of the car along with JJ. Everyone had a swimsuit on and had their surfboards with them. JJ borrowing one of mine that I brought. "I was thinking we could go night surfing since the sun is almost down," 

"Sounds fun!" John B said supportively.  The sun made the waves look like liquid gold as it made it's way past the horizon. It was almost completely dark. We had all caught a few good waves but since the surf was low we mostly just sat in the water. 

"So you and JJ huh?" Kiara said as she paddled over towards me while the boys were messing around a few yards away. 

"I don't even know, Kie. It's just overwhelming to think about us being together, especially with all the unknowns." I say. 

"Unknowns? Didn't you guys kiss? I'm pretty sure that often clarifies things."

"It only made things more confusing. It's not like he straight up told me he had feelings for me. He even apologized for the kiss!" But then again, we had a slight romantic moment right before all this. I would mention it to Kie but then the question as to why he needed an escape in the first place would come up and I don't think JJ wants me to tell people that his dad is abusing him. 

"He seems happier around you Kodi... even when he talks about you," Kiara says genuinely. 

"He talks about me?" I ask in a quiet voice. JJ seems like such a closed-off person when it comes to his feelings so for him to mention me at all if he did like me means more than I thought it would. I blush a bit. 

"A lot actually. He's always trying to be subtle about it too. Asking where you are, if you're working, etc." Kie smirks. "It's cute honestly. That he thinks it goes unnoticed." I giggle. Oh jeez, what is this boy doing to me? I look over and see him laughing his ass off as Pope fell in the water, alongside with him John B. His laugh made my stomach do flips, just like the ones I get right before a competition.  Maybe I'm mistaking my feelings for him because I just miss competing in the surf? No Kodi, enough with the excuses. 

There weren't many people on the beach until it was completely dark. That was when they all came in. Kook after kook after kook. I look over at John B as he gives me the exact same confused look. 

"What's going on? I didn't know there was supposed to be a party at the boneyard tonight." I said in a disappointed tone. I don't mind parties, I just wanted us all to have the beach to our selves once the surf was good. 

"I told Sarah about our plans and she said there was a party tonight so she couldn't come. She said it was on figure 8 side though." John B said. We swam over to the shore and join the crowd while we looked for the familiar kook. In the distance, I saw John B talking the Sarah who seemed in distress. I made my way through the crowd of intoxicated people. 

"Sarah, what's going on?" I ask. 

"Topper and I got in a fight tonight, he's been mad and trying to pick a fight ever since I cut it off with him. I wanted to leave the party so I told him I was gonna leave and join you guys but ... he and Rafe thought it would be fun to bring the party to the boneyard. I'm so sorry guys." Weird... I think there's something she's not telling us. Why would Topper be mad if she broke it off? I understand why he would be upset in general but most guys don't continue to pick fights unless something went down.