12. [R] Curiosity

Oh good heavens I don't know how to react, I didn't mean to think that Aneesah had a dark sense of humor, I hope not, but the punchline just HAD to actually get. Why?! I shouldn't be laughing. I don't think I was even supposed to find it funny, but I could just imagine defeating an iron golem and a full bucket fell instead of iron. Okay enough...this is getting out of hand.

As we walked through the swamp, Aneesah and I start to go on high alert, swamps are filled with more dangers seeing as slimes and witches live in this biome. It's the quickest route to her place but I wonder if it's the right path. I felt a small plain thought after she made a ...'frying pan'... I wonder, what else can she craft? a new weapon? A new artifact?...I almost don't seem to notice how much I've drifted off. "Romeo..hello...are you listening to me?" Aneesah called, snapping me out of my daze. "Uh...sorry." I said as I scratched the back of my head. "What were you saying?" "I said keep your eyes open for trouble. We're in a swamp biome, Romeo. Things aren't too friendly around here." She responds tracking forward. "Fair point." I said, following closely behind. "Hey, just for curiosity's sake...You said you didn't sleep well, any reasons why?" she asked as I caught up with her while we walked to her place. "Well I..." I pause at the beginning of my sentence. How am I even supposed to explain what kept me up int the middle of the night. Oh screw it, she knows about it already. "...I had a nightmare about, well, what happened to Fred. Then I, didn't go to sleep for a while." "Does it really haunt you that much?" She asked as she looked at me concerned. "Well, there were other things that kept me up at night. I don't really want to talk about it." I admitted as I turned away. "Why not?" Why is she so interested in the topic? Why does she care? "Let's just say...I'm not one of the best of people. I've done some things that are unforgivable... things I can never come back from." I said. I walked over to a tree and leaned against it.

I could here Aneesah walk towards me. I kept my gaze away. "Of course you can come back." she said. Confused, I turned back to her, taking in her every word. "Sure there are some truly heinous crimes that can't be forgiven, and this isn't what you would want to here from someone who wasn't there for any of the events, but no matter what you've done, you can't just end your life because of it. You can always come back." I sigh. "You sound so sure of that." She walks around to look directly at me. "So what? You'd rather punish yourself?" she asked. "You've been through enough already. Don't you think you deserve to be happy?" Do I? Do I really deserve happiness after everything I've done? Can I ever truly deserve anything? "I...I don't know." I say softly. Aneesah leans down to my height and puts a hand on my shoulder, or at least I think she is. She's never actually interacted with me before, other than probably dragging me to that tent. "Romeo, answer me this. Are you aware of whatever you did?" She asked. As if that question needed me to think. "Of course I am." "And do you wish you could take it back or do something to fix it?" "Isn't it obviouse? I'd do anything to make things right." " Then you're worthy of a second chance." I...what? "A lot of cruel people do things with no regret, no remorse. But you came to understand the consequences of your actions. You acknowledge what you did was wrong and you want to change. You're still a good person deeper down than you know, with good intentions. I think that makes you worthy of a better life." And that's where her sentence ends. She says that as if... she's trying to put herself in MY place. I guess what she's saying makes sense but... oh who am I kidding. I doubt there is nothing I can even say against her. I just don't get it. I've known her for practically two days and she's already behaving as if she's known me for longer than a year. She's also got a comforting look on her face. Is she...smiling? Yeah, I think so. That is definitely a reassuring smile plastered on her face. I manage to smile back calmly. "Thank you, really." I tell her. She doesn't let go of her expression as she says "Your welcome." Our calming mood doesn't stay there for long as I spot a strange entity of turquoise not far from us, in fact, about a block awa... "Aneesah! Behind you!" I shout as she swiftly turns to punch whatever that thing was. It fell back with a strange gurgle. What is it? Some kind of zombie? Aneesah gasped and took a few paces back as I walked up to her side. "DROWNEDS!!"

(Ooh boy, getting attacked by drowned zombies. Also shameless plug in. Check out my art book volume 3. More specifically the TOTB pictures. That is my new AU where Romeo has an older brother so it's both of their story. There's also just a little picture called (MCSM) AU which is a picture of Romeo and Ben as kids.)