Chapter 2: Southborne

March 21, 1895. Southbourne.

Cupa and I arrived at the village near Cupa's house after a short ride through the woods. We rode slowly through the village, seeing villages working off, such as farming, trading, smiting, etc. I looked around and noticed that the majority of the villagers in this town are females. In my life, I have never come to a town where women made up the majority of the population than men. I looked at a sign which said, "Southbourne".

William: "Hey Cupa. Sorry if I offended you, but why do women make up the majority of the population here in Southbourne?"

The look on her face turned serious when I mentioned it. It made me nervous as I might have upset Cupa for a silly question. Then, she smiled and giggled all of a sudden, changing her expression. I guess she laughed because of my near nervous breakdown.

Cupa: "None taken. Most of the men here immigrated to large cities in the far lands to look for job opportunities, leaving the women here by themselves. That's why you don't see that many men here in Southbourne."

William: "What's the nearest city then?"

Cupa: "Sedgwick. I haven't been there yet, but I heard the place is for the elites."

William: "Then, I'm not rich enough to go there."

She laughed at my joke, which I find unfunny. Cupa and I arrived at the bakery store called, 'Emma's Bakery'. She dismounted her horse, hitching it by the store.

Cupa: "Okay, I'm gonna run some errands. Enjoy yourself looking around the place."

William: "What? You're not giving me a tour guide around this village?"

Cupa: "Sorry, they're important. They won't take that long. Meet me by the bakery store in the afternoon."

William: "Alright."

I nodded. She went inside the bakery store to buy some bread for us. I guided my horse through the village, hoping to find a blacksmith. Food can be saved for later, for now, I had to purchase some ammunition. Looking around the village for a while, I found one. I approached the blacksmith, dismounted my horse, hitched it and entered the place.

A young pale woman wearing a black apron, brown shirt and skirt and a monocle turned to me and greeted my welcome

F. Blacksmith: "Welcome, sir. How may I help you?"

William: "I was hoping you could make some of these bullets."

I showed the blacksmith a tubular Winchester bullet. She took it from my hand and observed it, looking at its details. She then smirked and turned to me.

F. Blacksmith: "You're lucky I can make these kinds of stuff. Not many blacksmiths know how to make bullets because gunpowder is something uncommon we use."

William: "Right."

As he began forging and crafting the bullets, I looked around the place. It was not that big, more of a medium size building. The inside was full of weapons and tools forged by the blacksmith. There were two furnaces and lava outside, which I assumed they would be fuel. Distracted by looking around the place, the blacksmith lady called me.