(Your name) saw him, sitting on the rock with the elegant ease that he always seemed to have. It was amazing how calm the man was, how balanced  he always seemed to be, despite being a criminal. He wore a new bruise on his right cheek, as well as had a small trickle of blood running out of his nose and down onto his lips. The man gave a small smile as he saw (Your name), lifting up his hand and wiping the blood away, but it smeared a little. (Your name) sighed as he got up, walking towards Zaheer as he brandished Madam Toph's handkerchief from his pocket, attempting to wipe the blood away.

"The bastards..." (Your name) muttered as tilted the man's head up so he could get a better look at the broken nose. "I'm going to smash those guards to a pulp when I arrive... they won't know what hit them!"

Zaheer chuckled softly despite the pain, letting the younger man attend to his wound. "They do not like to see a lack of reaction from one of their prisoners, they're used to seeing fear. Used to causing fear."

"Which is not right." (Your name) grumbled as he removed the cloth, gently touching the bridge of Zaheer's nose, which caused the man to wince. "They all act like the good guys, but at the end of the day, they are the biggest hypocrites of them all." (Your name) let out a sigh as he let go of the man's head, lifting his hands up in a well practiced manner. "Now hold still please, I'll just use some water bending on your nose, and hopefully heal it."

Zaheer complied easily, after all, it had been months since they had first met in the spirit world and the man was well accustomed to having his wounds healed. It was a trade-off in a sense; Zaheer's guidance for (Your name)'s strength.

(Your name) finished the water bending, so he let the liquid drop ungracefully at his side and he looked over the man, glancing up briefly to check that it was a full moon. "It's still going to be awfully tender, but it should be fine. Think that you lost a bit of blood?"

Zaheer nodded, and (Your name) was once again water bending, or blood bending technically, the blood back into the man, through the man's nose, which caused Zaheer to sneeze. (Your name) would cherish that moment forever, the moment where the man for once did not look at all graceful and he gave a loud sneeze. (Your name) couldn't help but chuckle at the thought.

Once they were done, (Your name) sat down next to Zaheer, and they watched the colourful landscape in an easy silence. Sometimes they didn't necessarily practice air bending, and Zaheer would just talk and explain Air bending spirituality- about enlightenment, and detaching oneself from the world, to free themselves from earthly tethers. Sometimes Zaheer would tell (Your name) about his childhood, how he grew up, his friends, and finally his battles with Avatar Korra.

But sometimes they would just sit and relax, watch the spirits run around, see the large spirit dandelions fly, floating away in a sudden gust of air. Sometimes they would walk around, and Zaheer would talk about some of the spirits that he had seen lately. These little things that he did with Zaheer were weirdly enough, the most normal things in his life currently.

"We should arrive at Republic City sometime today." (Your name) stated as he ran a hand through his hair, as it had become somewhat matted from the journey. Because Ko-Lek was now traveling with him, so (your name) could not simply water bend the water to get the knots out. And the Avatar had never thought to simply take a brush with him.

"Excited Avatar?" Zaheer asked, a small smile quirking onto his lips. It had become somewhat of an inside joke for the air bender to call (Your name) by that title. And while it was sometimes funny when Zaheer was teaching him how to air bend, or if they were practicing battles against each other (none which [your name] had fairly won yet), but it also made it become even more clear to (Your name)...

That he was the Avatar, and he had a mission to take care of.

"I'm fine." (Your name) replied, which only served him to gain a raised eyebrow from the other.

"I did not ask you that." Zaheer stated evenly, turning away to look out towards the landscape once more. "But we shall speak more in depth about your legitimate  feelings when we finally meet in person."

(Your name) knew that he would never escape the man's questioning when they would finally meet-

When he freed Zaheer.

...

After crossing the Great Divide and passing through several fishing villages, the pair finally made it to Republic City, the sun high and the area boomed with the voices of unfamiliar people. While (Your name) had never seen such a view, he had most certainly had had a glimpse of the icy towers in the Northern Water Tribe. Yet, as he glanced towards the other, he found himself unthinkingly setting a hand on Ko's shoulder. "Its... different, isn't it?"

"Certainly." Ko breathed out, hazel eye's glancing up at the other and smiling  gratefully. "I... I don't know what to make of it."

"Just think of it as a new leaf."

"I don't do leaves, I do sand."

"Well... that's what she said."

Ko let out a loud groan in exasperation.

Word count: 930 words.

A very short chapter, a filler really, but I thought I might as well upload. Next chapter, we'll be meeting some new peeps!