Part 1: The Dark-Eyed Boy

Dear Mother, 

Dear Mother, 

I rose at an early hour today, but only due to insomnia. As you remember, I am the sort who prefers to stay in bed until the late hours of the morning, but I had great difficulty falling asleep last night, and eventually I forsook the endeavor. It is rare that I have insomniausually my poor sleeping habits are the result of studyingbut last night I was alight with excitement and could not sleep.

Today is my coronation to the Guild of Sorcerers, Mystacor's ruling council. I wished to join their ranks, not for precious gems or notoriety (I have never been fond of jewelry, and my notoriety is the unwanted sort), but for the purpose of serving others. From the seat of Mystacor's throne, I can learn more things only available in the forbidden archives and I can enact new laws and course of action that will benefit others. At last, I will be trusted enough to fulfill the calling you gave to me long ago.

It has been forever since we last spoke, Mother. I think you would be proud of me. A strange ache that has not left me since I came of age pulls at my chest, and I fear sometimes it leads me astray. I wish for it to leave me, for it impedes me, but it never will. My life is lonely. This is the lot carved out for me, so I suppose I must accept it.

I wish I could speak to you face-to-face, Mother. You have told me who I am, but I want to tell you how much you mean to me. I wish to travel through a mirror and hold you, but there are no mirrors where you are.

Your daughter,

Alura