24 | The Spell of Obtainment

Song: "Beast Island" from The Music of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

I'm starting to wonder if I have the opposite problem of what everyone believes. My powers are harder to control the more I hole myself up. The less I deny myself the ability to feel, to think about my emotions and process them, the less I fear my light going off.

❂❂❂

When Light Spinner returned, Micah was asleep on the couch with his magic textbook on his face. Bending down to run her fingers over his hair, she gave a shuddering sigh. Mother, I have been a fool. A sidetracked fool.

I have to be more than myself to secure a better future for us. Now I've restored what I'd lost with Nell. I have a best friend now. And he is my child.

I'm a mother. She whispered the words as she unhooked her veil and pressed a gentle kiss to Micah's forehead. Tears came to her eyes, tears of happiness. "I'm a mother."

Light Spinner used kinesis magic to tuck him in bed, then undid his hair from the band that kept some of it in a bun. She walked back to the living room, opened the leather cover of her journal, and wrote with a trembling hand.

 She walked back to the living room, opened the leather cover of her journal, and wrote with a trembling hand

Dear Mother,

The Spell of Obtainment.

A gust of icy wind rattled the window, and Light Spinner closed it with kinesis magic. Deep breaths. She wrote again, swallowing hoarsely.

This is an idea based entirely in my own insane head. But without runestones, it could be the only way for sorcerers to help save Etheria. I learned about the Spell in my evocation class. The idea of using it has been shot down by every sorcerer in the past four hundred years, due to how it split the kingdom of Arxia and left over nine thousand Etherians dead in the subsequent war.

Sorcerers are not like princesses, whose power is contained in a single source: a runestone. Most of the time, spells for sorcerers take immense concentration, and this process comes more easily for some than others. But with the Spell, you become your own runestone. If successfully cast, it changes the dynamic of your body to automatically collect magic for future use. There's no magic strain, no danger of death, and you will be in complete control of your mind. If sorcerers could succeed in using the Spell, we could become strong enough to defeat the Horde without the threat of magic strain from the Pull.

The Spell has never succeeded before, and the results are catastrophic if it fails. Every sorcerer to attempt it has ended up dead, because while the Spell itself is not dark, it does contain darkness as a byproduct, and that darkness has thus far been too much for any caster to handle. It has never been attempted outside of a set of experiments by Emeth Auctor four hundred years ago, which caused the aforementioned war in Arxia.