Part 2: The Lady of Light

Dear Mother,

Dear Mother,

Three months have passed, and I will start my fifth year of teaching this year. Tropicil intelligence has reported that there are soldiers dressed in thick black armor traversing the dunes and mesas. The Tropicil do not wear armor, as the militias are primarily the Scorpion people, so King Sketála knew it was foreign instantly.

More scouts were sent out to investigate the crashed ship, and it turns out the soldiers were coming from there. They attacked the pauperum, and Sarah sent me a light illusion begging me to take Castaspella and Micah until it was safe for them to return. I lack experience with infants and am too busy to learn, so I passed her along to Master Norwyn, who agreed to care for her. I will provide for Micah until the threat is quelled.

My thoughts wander often to the boy I will mentor this year. The boy I will be a mother to. Micah is not the first person whose parents sent him away; you do not know this, Mother, but Father unofficially disowned me after you died. I couldn't control my powers, and he hated me. There were even times when he smacked me straight across the face. I likely deserved it, as I was no angel in the relationship either, but the sting exists today no matter how I try to forget it. I pray Micah's father is a better person. But Sarah has a good head on her shoulders; I trust she could marry well.

I have always been drawn to children, Mother. This will be my first taste at parenting. I had always wished to have children of my own, but the man I loved - and still love today, though it is a silly love - left me due to career and social circumstances. Apart from him, it is next to impossible for me to find a suitable husband. Either I will be feared, or married only for my riches and beauty; that is the life I fear living the most, a life where I am controlled and used.

Yet that maternal drive is still within me. I became a teacher in order to nurture others; that is where I am most at home. Children often do not have the prejudices of those who are grown, which is why I mightily prefer befriending them over those who met me as adults.

But part of me still wonders who I would be if I gave birth to a child and raised the infant to adulthood. What is it like knowing someone that intimately, that wonderfully? It is a mystery too vast to understand. But I would like to believe I could be a good parent and give my child a lovely life. I would name her Adora if she were a girl, because she would be my gift. My beloved.

Your daughter,

Alura