33 | To The Fright Zone

Song: "End Credits Medley" from The Music of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

I have fallen and hit bedrock. But at least bedrock is solid.

❂❂❂

Light Spinner staggered outside and raised her hands. Each speckle of moondust that rained downward energized her until she could stand, the partially-executed Spell working the way it should have. Her hair swirled above her head as she took a deep breath, able to live again, able to rise by her rage.

The Arrowhead Canal was the border between the Fright Zone and Bright Moon. A choice was set before her: she could return to Bright Moon and beg for Angella's mercy, or she could enter the Fright Zone and offer her knowledge about runestones to the Horde's shadowy leader, perhaps even landing a place in his army.

If I go to Bright Moon, I'll be imprisoned and away from Micah. And powerless, too.

If I go back to Bright Moon, I'll die.

Both options carried risk, but only one of them meant others ripping her away from Micah: going to Bright Moon. If she had to be away from him, it would be her choice. But she was done pretending who she was for the sake of others' comfort. She would not deny herself anymore, and she would hurt the world the way it had hurt her.

As soon as that thought entered her mind, Light Spinner grinned with joy despite the pain. Placing the shard of the Black Garnet on the sand, she ripped off her clothes and dove into the canal, shallow enough for her to swim in.

 Placing the shard of the Black Garnet on the sand, she ripped off her clothes and dove into the canal, shallow enough for her to swim in

The water was icy and goosebumped her skin, but she didn't care - it assuaged her cuts, dulled the pain. Her broken rib barely ached as the magic moondust fell on her bare shoulders and soaked into her skin. Light Spinner scrubbed blood and grime off her arms, laughing to the sky, her body alive with pure ecstasy. Only a week ago she'd never have done such a thing; now she had no one to please but herself. No rules, no expectations, no pressure.

Don't think about Micah. Don't think of how fun it would be to go to the beach together. Don't think of how you never will now.

Light Spinner had never realized how good freezing water felt. She had never understood the freedom that came from being lonely. Her silly past self, always terrified of being alone, had never understood that being alone meant one could dive naked into a river and feel the greatest pleasure, just because one could.

After she was clean, she exited the water. Gazing at the hideous scabs along her body from the Spell - long, snaky marks that were undoubtedly permanent - she curled her lip. Panic filled her to her core; great blackness surged in her thoughts, and she trembled, almost gasping for air.

I have new powers. What can I do with them? "Cover me," she said, focusing on the dress she wished to wear. Within moments, thick velvet fabric trailed along her arms and body, all the way down to her fingertips.