28 | Alura, Daughter of Ántonin

Song: "Glass Princess" by Adrian Von Ziegler

I think sometimes that half-lies are excusable in place of full lies. Perhaps you would disagree, Mother. But sometimes half-lies are things you wish to be true, so that if you are surprised and they turn out to be fulfilled, you can say it was a wish and that you never did anything wrong. That is the only way I can live with myself now.

❂❂❂

The next day, Light Spinner took Micah to the historium. If there was anywhere that had the missing pieces, it was here - George's archives were the most extensive collection of historical writing on Etheria, and even contained some journals from the First Ones themselves.

They entered the large library

They entered the large library. A man with dark skin and long dreadlocks - a human Delvalian - greeted them at the doorway. He adjusted his spectacles and studied Light Spinner as Micah paced the room. "Do my eyes deceive me? Or is that...Alura? Ántonin's daughter?"

She clenched her fists at the memory of those days when she'd had a silly child's crush on him. "Not so loud, George. I have my apprentice from Mystacor here."

He took her hands. "I missed you. It's been such a long time since you've come home."

She wormed out of the touch. Her eyes were burning, and she wanted to flee into a corner where she could be alone. "I'm going by Light Spinner now."

For a moment, the man studied her, then nodded. "Light Spinner, huh? Nice nickname. Didn't Lydia use to call you that?"

It wasn't easy hearing people drop her mother's name casually in conversation. Light Spinner growled. "I need access to your research!"

George was taken aback, but then smiled easily. "Right, right. We can catch up later. What's going on?"

She took out her scroll and placed it on the table, unraveling it. "The other half was torn off. I was wondering if you have it here, since you collect historical artifacts. I was thinking it might have gotten lost since it's over five hundred years old."

"I'll see if I can find it. What's it about?"

Light Spinner bit her lip and put her mouth near his ear. "The Spell of Obtainment," she whispered.

"Ah, the Spell of - "

"George, se taire!"

"Oh, is the little man over there not supposed to know?" he said, nodding in Micah's direction. "Got it. I'll have all our materials on that coming up."

Light Spinner gave a long sigh and sank into an armchair. After a long while, George brought her a small scroll. "Here's the other piece. We received it about six months ago from Master Norwyn. It was a few days after the attack on Illuras - he seemed worried when he'd brought it to me." He passed a look at her badge. "You must know him, huh?"