6 | You Must Focus

Song: "Razz" from Music From She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

You and Father took me to the historum when I was seven years old. In the back were several pieces of dark blue-and-white rock that reminded me of the opals and sapphires you used to wear. You told me that the stone was the Stardrop, a broken runestone that belonged to the lost kingdom of Arxia before evil people tried to seek its power, under the influence of a dark spell. Though I am glad Delvala is safe, my father was descended from the king. I couldn't help but imagine if he'd had that sort of power - the power of princesses - and passed it on to me. Perhaps then I could actually do some good in the world.

❂❂❂

Light Spinner passed out papers in class the next week

Light Spinner passed out papers in class the next week. "Complex light illusions require much more concentration than static spells. With this mandala, you can make your illusion move around or speak."

When she passed the paper to Micah, she was met with a sudden question from the Tropicil boy. "Which spell requires the most focus?"

A headache crept up on Light Spinner's skull. If she answered this question and the Guild found out, she could get in serious trouble; however, surely there was no harm in simple knowledge. "The Spell of Obtainment," she said. "It is the most difficult spell ever attempted in Etherian history."

"What does it do?" Micah asked, leaning forward with childlike curiosity in his dark eyes; those eyes that Light Spinner couldn't gaze at for too long, or she might...well, she didn't know exactly what would happen, but whatever it was wasn't good.

She sighed. "Micah, focus on your work. The Spell isn't something I can speak of carelessly."

"But -"

"Micah."

Frowning, he turned back to his papers for five minutes before interrupting class again. "Who's the lady on the back wall? The one holding the sword?"

Light Spinner stiffened; that image had been there from the time she'd gotten this classroom. "The legendary She-Ra," she said. "You've never heard of her?"

"I have," Ver said as she drew. "My papai has stories about her. He said she's been to Beast Island."

Light Spinner shivered. "Yes, but she is only a myth," she said. "The sixth runestone princess, one who carried her power with her wherever she went."

What I wouldn't give to have that sort of magic. The sorts of things the She-Ra could do in the myths were incredible. Incomprehensible strength. Healing. If Light Spinner had that gift, there was no telling what she could do to make the world a better place. What she could do to make up for her mistakes...

Light Spinner kept making notes as Micah spoke. "Do the princesses ever get tired of doing magic?"

"You mean, do they ever get magic strain?" Light Spinner asked over her shoulder. "Not that I know of. Theoretically, if two princesses were connected to the same runestone, the weaker one might have to recharge her powers; nevertheless, as far as I know, magic strain is relegated to sorcerers. Overzealous sorcerers."