34 | A Sanity Mantra

Song: "Heart Part 1" from The Music of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Only a few hours after I got my freedom, I'm trying to become a slave again. Micah, I want to hold you, but I'm a danger to you now. What a world where not only do I fail to save my people, I become a curse upon the only person I still love.

❂❂❂

Every step bred a resounding echo as Shadow Weaver approached the throne, her hair billowing with the power she'd obtained from the moondust. The room was enormous, like the Seraphite churches in Delvala that her father used to take her to when she was small. Her hands, her whole body, shook. I am tough. I am intimidating. Every trait that people feared will be the reason I'm hired today.

This is insanity. I'm speaking to a man who's organized a terrorist movement against Etheria.

She pushed down the urge to run. I have nothing left to lose.

Shadow Weaver bowed. The man on the throne towered over her six-foot height; thick metal cables bulged over his muscular arms, and his fingertips were crowned with spikes. His glowing red eyes scrutinized her. Her, a mere shadow in his presence.

He spoke with thin, black lips, his voice quieter than she expected. "An Etherian traitor. I had thought you were a princess," he growled in disgust. "What use are you to me?"

I don't have control. I have to gain it. A smile stretched her face from behind her mask. "Lord Hordak, how is the Black Garnet useful to you right now?"

"That did not answer my question." The black markings around his eyes thickened. His ghastly white skin contorted as he curled his lip at her.

Shadow Weaver tossed her head. "Very well. Leave me and the secrets of the magic you could unlock. Of course, I could be a valuable soldier in your army..." She let a laugh out. "But if you're so intent on keeping the jewel for aesthetic reasons - well, I won't stop you."

Hordak tilted his head. "What secrets do you speak of, fool?"

"I am no fool. You could throw away the opportunity to make twice the progress on Etheria than you have been..." She lowered her voice. "But I know you won't."

He rolled his eyes. "No one is able to access the Black Garnet anymore. All the royalty of Tropicilas are dead save the defective child, Princess Scorpia."

"That is where you are wrong, my lord. Not only a princess can access a runestone."

"And you can?"

"I have studied runestone magic," Shadow Weaver said. Yes, you're telling half-lies. But you'll back them up soon. "The magic normally only responds to a princess, but I could harness it to respond to myself as well."

"And what benefit would that offer me?" Hordak asked, looking bored.

"What benefit?" she snarled, hoping the raised voice would grasp his attention. "I was cast out of my home. My kingdom. I sympathize with the Horde's revolution. I will help you conquer and take Etheria, and I will plunder even the secret kingdom I was a part of. I would be the best soldier you have ever had, if I carried the power in that stone."