Epilogue

Dear Micah,

Five years have passed since I left you, five years I have lived without you, and five years I have been in sorrow. Perhaps it was my duty to stop the Horde, but we both know I couldn't do any good in the world. That fact was established a very long time ago, but only now have I accepted it, and with that came not happiness, but relief. Peace with who I am, that I can at last fulfill your wishes and stop pretending to be something I'm not.

Carmen is a good servant, and became an even better Force-Captain. She is dedicated, a good fighter, smart, and fun to be around. But I can't tell her anything. I must keep my lips sealed, for three years after I joined the Horde, Jibril attempted a coup against me. He'd known I was Emeth Light Spinner of Mystacor. 

Carmen stopped it just in time, and to my knowledge, the affair eluded Lord Hordak's eyes, but Jibril had his revenge upon my servant. The result was an ugly felinetta whom I must often look after, as I am the one in the complex filing papers while Carmen is on the front lines. And Jibril? He is a corpse in the mud outside the Fright Zone, for Carmen did not deserve such a horrible tragedy when she was only nineteen.

Carmen and I have taken to calling her "Catra." It is a simple name for a child such as her, common as dirt. I myself adopted a child last week: the indirect product of one of Hordak's experiments on the space-time continuum. I lack specific knowledge on the details surrounding such things, but it is no matter. The girl is who I wish to describe.

Deep blue eyes smile at me from against my breast, where she lays as I write. She is my Adora, the replacement for the one I lost. She isn't exactly like you, Micah - you were rebellious, wonderfully free, and not afraid to approach me. But I can tell Adora will keep her feelings close to her heart. It is something only a mother can understand.

You joined the Rebellion three years after I joined the Horde, leaving Mystacor at the age of seventeen to join Queen Angella's court. And from what I hear, it would appear you fancy the queen of Bright Moon to be your wife. I am proud that you are grown, and you have become one of the most handsome men I have ever laid eyes on. 

But I tremble at the idea of you being a king, with all the responsibility and burdens of ruling a kingdom. And I fear that by marrying Angella, you will forget me, and I will become like a dusty old photograph in the back of your mind. Most of all, I fear that one day we will cross paths. Though I intend for us to stay apart for good, harming you would cause my mind to tear itself in half from sorrow. I would become nothing more than an animal if I was the cause of your death.

My life will be incomplete so long as we are apart. But I told Norwyn before his death that I could live life alone. I intend to keep that promise now, however painful it may be. This pain has made me stronger. But I will always miss you.

Yours, 

Commander Shadow Weaver