2 | The Ceremony

Song: "Coronation" from Music From She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Do you remember, Mother, when Father would buy treats from the bakery before he came home every evening? It's been fifteen years since the last time he brought home those delicacies, but I still remember them. My mouth waters at the idea of the buttered baguettes, and pan et viande; the hot pork wrapped in soft rolls that we used to eat. To me, that is the taste of home.

❂❂❂

When Micah and Arvina exited the dorm, Asteria and Veritas were waiting for them. The satyr squeezed his hands. "Micah, we're going to Light Spinner's coronation today! It's going to be so exciting!"

Arvina checked her pocket watch. "Yes, and it will be starting soon. We should make our way to the Lunarium. Come now."

As they walked along the road, Micah tapped Asteria's shoulder. "What's the Lunarium?"

"Have you gone to a single year of school?"

Ouch. Ver rolled her eyes. "Asteria, be nice."

"Whatever. Did you?"

Micah's cheeks were hot. "No. Isn't that obvious?"

Veritas gave a small smile. "The Lunarium is the assembly hall. It's the biggest room in the Great Hall - that's where we'll be doing school."

"And Light Spinner's becoming the queen of Mystacor? What happened to the last one?"

"Nothing," Asteria said. "Mystacor doesn't pass down seats like the other kingdoms. We're ruled by a council here. Light Spinner is the youngest person in centuries to be on the Guild."

Micah nodded slowly. "Will I get to meet her?"

Asteria didn't meet his eyes. "Only if you end up getting her as a teacher, which you won't."

"How do you know?"

"She only teaches the best sorcerers in the kingdom," she said as they entered the Great Hall. "The gifted and talented types."

"I'm not gifted and talented?"

"Asteria's not saying that," Ver said kindly. "Light Spinner is nice. I like her."

"If by nice you mean crazy," Asteria muttered, "then sure."

How is Light Spinner crazy? The way they talk about her is pretty weird. She can't be that bad. They entered the Lunarium straight from the outside; many different beings packed the room, standing around the central cauldron, where an old satyr with a starry crown on his head set several bottles on the edge of the bowl.

Ver danced around a bit. "That's Norwyn. He's the Head Sorcerer, and one of Mama's best friends. He's also Light Spinner's dad."

"Wait, her dad?" Micah asked. "But they're different species -"

"Not her birth dad," Asteria interrupted. "Her adoptive dad."

"Oh. Right." Micah tried to scan over the heads of the adult sorcerers - he was rather short - but Ver bent down and pointed at his feet, drawing a mandala. The three of them rose until they were around the same height as the adults. It's okay, Micah told himself, though his heart banged in his chest at the sudden height change. You're just getting taller.

"Ver, that's kinesis magic," Asteria said. "You aren't supposed to use it yet."

"Light Spinner taught it to me over the summer," Ver said. "She told me I'm really good at it." Micah tilted his head. She teaches students over the summer?