1 | The Lady in the Orchard

Beautiful fanart by LunaTiel! Thank you for your support on my book, my friend.

Song: "Katolis Sunrise/Everywhere You Look"  from The Dragon Prince Season 3 OST

Do you remember the day I started writing to you, Mother? It was on a cold autumn morning. You gave me a journal for my fifth birthday in Novembre and told me you wished for me to write everything I experienced in it, because my life was a great story and you wanted to read every moment of it. You propped my small body up on the big chair in the kitchen, and the paper and ink emitted a homey fragrance as I wrote about how much I loved you. I have not stopped writing since.

❂❂❂

On a cold, misty morning, a pair of horses trotted along the path between the Montañas Brumoses to the western edge of the Etherian supercontinent. They dragged a wagon behind them, the canvas shielding the people inside from the rain but not much else as it persisted down the rugged road. Quiet was the dripping of condensed mist against the fabric, a rhythmic white-noise that kept two of the three of its inhabitants fast asleep.

Micah huddled in the wagon, shivering from the chilly weather. Feeling hadn't left his hands, but his breath whispered out in puffs every time he exhaled the cool air. Not only was the elevation higher, but the further his family traveled from their desert home in Tropicilas, the colder the air grew. Cheer up. You'll only have to deal with this for a whole school year - might as well get used to it.

 You'll only have to deal with this for a whole school year - might as well get used to it

He gave up on falling back asleep and stole a peek at their surroundings outside. The grass was no longer blue, but a deep shade of spring-green. He grinned and laughed, then tightened his cheap, threadbare jacket around his thin frame. "We're here, Mom!"

She yawned and rubbed her eyes, carrying motherly grace as she rose from her cot, her dress sleeve slipping off one shoulder. Homey beauty rested in her gentle eyes as she smoothed her unruly black hair - hair that their whole family took pride in. Swooping up his two-year-old sister Castaspella in her arms, she smiled. "Alright. There should be someone at the gorge who will help the protection spell recognize you."

As the carriage stopped, Micah grabbed his mother in a hug, breathing in the ocean for what would be the last time in nine months. "I love you, Mom." He scooped his sister up and kissed both of her chubby cheeks. "I'll miss you too."

She sighed, taking the toddler again. "Head out. Dad's waiting with your things."

Micah nodded, jumping outside the wagon and onto the ground. As he took the bag that contained a single change of clothes, slinging it over his shoulder, his father gripped his shoulders. "Micah, when you return, you'll be a sorcerer. You understand that?"

Micah's heart leaped when he thought of exploring Mystacor's life - his mom had awesome tales of what Arxia Academy was like - but he wasn't keen on sitting in a chair for eight hours a day listening to stuffy old people drone on about things he didn't understand. But he inhaled and nodded. I do want to be a sorcerer. I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm not a dumb kid.