5 | The First Day

Song: "Light Spinner" from Music from She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Media: The Great Hall, Morning Moonrise

When I was little, I wanted to be a sorceress more than anything. Mother, do you remember how proud you were when I first made a fire in the hearth with my magic? It was the one thing I didn't need teaching to accomplish, something I instinctively taught myself.

❂❂❂

The next day, the three students crowded each other in the elevator as it descended from Phoenix Dorm to the first floor

The next day, the three students crowded each other in the elevator as it descended from Phoenix Dorm to the first floor. Ver squealed. "I can't believe you're coming to class with us today!"

"I can't believe she let you in," Asteria muttered with a rueful smile. "Hope you survive."

Micah was quiet, deep in thought. That wasn't normal human heat I felt. I mean, she's not human, but whatever. I wonder why her hands are like that. "What's up?" Ver asked, jostling his shoulder.

His fingers brushed the cuffs of his sleeves. "Light Spinner's hands. They're hot. Why is that?" Her touch was like warm sand beneath his toes; Asteria's hands didn't feel like that, so it couldn't be a Delvalian thing.

Both students shrunk back slightly. "Light Spinner...she's special," Ver said.

"She's different," Asteria corrected. "Micah, sometimes sorcerers are only naturally gifted in one or two schools of magic. The rest take extreme work and dedication to master for them. Light Spinner's the most powerful sorceress in Mystacor, but it wasn't always that way."

"She used to only be good at evocation magic," Ver said.

"Evocation. So she can destroy things?"

"She can fire pure light from her hands," Asteria murmured. "Nobody knows why that is. Or why she glows. Everyone's got different theories on it - the Guild, my parents, the Seraphite church -"

Ver shifted on her feet. "She learned to control it, but no one trusts her. She has no friends either - just Master Norwyn."

He guessed that's why Light Spinner had no wedding ring in her ear, either. "Why does she stay in Mystacor if everyone's afraid of her, then? Why doesn't she go back to Bel Delvala?"

"It's the one thing no one can figure out," Asteria said. "But she has a temper, and when she gets mad, I hear her light blasts act on their own. She's decent, but her light's something people need to watch out for."

Micah bit the inside of his cheek as they continued walking along the mossy stone path to the Great Hall, that cloudy look in Light Spinner's bright green eyes in his mind. It's okay. She can't be all bad. Can she?

✧✧✧

Light Spinner dusted silver makeup over her eyelids and rearranged the overflowing pot of daisies on her desk as the students walked in. The Tropicil boy gazed at the enormous back window out toward the waterfalls of Mystacor, then at the stained-glass images on the side wall. She pushed down the disbelief and apprehension that threatened her relatively subdued demeanor toward her students. You'll figure out how to get him under control. Everyone will learn.