4 | Transfer

Song: "He's Really Gone/Mysterious Stranger" from The Dragon Prince Season 2 OST

On the first day of school, you lifted your veil and kissed both of my cheeks. Do you remember, Mother? People stared at you, but you didn't care. You were too proud of your daughter. I long for such confidence and the ability to be happy and liberal without feeling the gazes of others. For someone as brash as I am, I am unsure why I feel so small.

❂❂❂

After the evening with Norwyn, Light Spinner walked back to her own house and set her bags down on the porch

After the evening with Norwyn, Light Spinner walked back to her own house and set her bags down on the porch. As she stripped her face of its veil and walked toward her bedroom, her breath caught, and she detoured to her office. 

She walked into the small room that had a little waterfall, a desk, and a moondust mill. After opening the secret drawer in the table, she pulled out a tiny red shard and sat on the floor, her eyes fixed on the warm glow it emitted in her hands.

Her prowess had captured the interest of Princess Estila, daughter of King Sketála of Tropicilas. As she pulled out the letter from the Scorpion heir and reread it for the thousandth time, a smile came to her face. After so many years, Light Spinner had at last deceived the world into believing she was naturally brilliant and talented at magic.

To the soon-to-be Emeth: (Felicidades!)

I am sending you a secret message because my court has refused to let me publicly state my possible solutions for my baby, Scorpia. She cannot connect to our runestone. It is a great secret and a shame on our family, as all the other royalty in Etheria who have runestones face no trouble connecting their children. If it is not automatic when they are born, it is very easy. But not for my Scorpia—she is nearing a year old and has shown no signs of being able to connect. I have heard that you are the most genius of the higher-studies sorcerers, so I'm begging you to help me. I have sent a sample of the Black Garnet for you to study. There will be a reward if you do.

Sincerely,

Princess Estila of Tropicilas

Light Spinner had reread the letter until the ink bled from the parchment. How lucky she was that an opportunity like this had fallen into her hands. If she could study the properties of the runestone and discover how to connect the princess to it, what other possibilities might a spell for forged runestone connection yield?

Images danced in her mind of the First-Ones archeologists digging up another runestone; a lost one that hadn't belonged to any kingdom, that Mystacor could claim. What if her own people could wield the power of princesses, able to help others in a way that had been impossible for the common magic-user for a thousand years?

So much power hummed in that tiny gem that it made her back tingle. But in the past month since she'd received the letter, she had failed to create an effective spell or even comprehend how someone born without power could obtain such abilities. There was still one piece missing. Something that, as of yet, Scorpia lacked.