THIRTEEN

Rebekah lies on an old mattress in a poor state suffering from the werewolf bites she received previously

Rebekah lies on an old mattress in a poor state suffering from the werewolf bites she received previously. There is a dripping sound by her bedside as she is coming into a conscious state. She shoots awake gasping only to look around and see a very familiar hospital in full swing. The sound of screaming patients in agony and bustling nurses and doctors attending to them; all dying from Spanish Influenza. She is hallucinating, she is really in an abandoned hospital in New Orleans, antique hospital beds, wheelchairs and equipment left behind and forgotten.

She breathes heavily and gasps with fear as she looks around lost in her hallucination. Blood dripping on the floor; a man drops a bloody rag; another man sits up in bed and coughs out blood. She gasps as two doctors drop another patient onto a cot and wheel him toward the morgue. She slowly rolls out of the bed, weakened by the werewolf venom in her system. A woman's laughter is heard echoing through the corridors.

"Who's there?" Rebekah asks out loud but she gets no answer in return.

She struggles to get out of that room as quickly as possible and escape. As she reaches the door she plunges through it escaping outside.

"How the hell did I get here?" Rebekah murmurs to herself before she stumbles toward the steps but before she can go any further she is stabbed in the heart with a wooden stake. She gasps and falls to the ground only to look into the eyes of the familiar face that stabbed her.

"Genevieve!" Rebekah said in shock.

"Rebekah, tell me you're not leaving already. I thought we might reminisce." Genevieve remarked as Rebekah fell unconscious.

—————

Meanwhile inside, Celeste looks over the body of Klaus who is shirtless and lying on a bed tied down by restraints. He too is weakened by Papa Tunde's blade which has disappeared inside of him. He groans and starts to stir. The witches have gathered to say goodbye to Sophie who was killed. Monique stands emotionless with a candle as a man lays bricks over Sophie's grave. Elijah appears and quickly takes out three people at vampire speed, Monique is not phased but others gasp.

"My siblings have been taken...where are they?" Elijah questioned.

"You're interrupting my Aunt Sophie's consecration." Monique said.

"How did this happen?" Elijah asks.

"Aunt Sophie was a casualty of war," Monique stated.

"Monique, I recommend you give me what I want unless of course you'd like me to level this place and everything in it. " Elijah stated.

"That won't be necessary. I have a message for you from Celeste." Monique answered as she put her hand out in front of her performing a spell.

Elijah pulls at the collar of his shirt uncomfortably, he rips open the top button of his shirt to see the name "Theresa" in italics tattooed on his chest. Monique continues as two more names appear, he rolls up his sleeve to see the familiar name "Sabine" and to find what he was looking for he had to follow the path she left behind.

—————

Rebekah lay on a hospital bed with the wooden stake still buried in her chest, she is now awake and gasping as Genevieve is humming and making an herb potion mixed with her blood.

"What the hell are you doing you ruthless bitch?" Rebekah asks.

"Poor Rebekah, you should rest. You're looking a little peaked." Genevieve said as she pulled the stake out of Rebekah's chest and let her blood drip into her potion. "Of course, that's to be expected, given the impressive amount of werewolf venom in your system."

"If I weren't so bloody sick I'd rip your head off!" Rebekah exclaimed angry.

"But you are sick and comforting the sick has always been a talent of mine. I take care of my friends. We were friends, weren't we? Of course we were." Genevieve responded as she applied a cold cloth to Rebekah's forehead.

THE ABATTOIR  

Elijah walks in quickly as Marcel is sending out more troops to search the city.

"Anything?" Elijah asked.

"They're putting eyes and ears out everywhere, day walkers are working every contact we've got. Cops, dock workers, guys in the Treme. Word is out, anyone trying to earn favor with me gets a lifetime of it if they find them." Marcel replied.

"Good. I need a pen and paper " Elijah stated as he walks away and Marcel follows.

"Hey, am I taking orders from you now, or are we in this together?" Marcel questions and Elijah removes his jacket.

"Pen and paper, Marcellus. Now!" Elijah exclaimed.

"I want her back just as much as you do, you know... Both of them." Marcel responded as he turns to fetch the pen and paper from the desk drawer as Elijah removes his shirt and calls out for Hayley and Ace.

"Hayley! Ace!" Elijah called.

"Elijah! You're back. Did you find any–" Hayley started to see but stopped as she and Ace took in his appearance – shirtless and covered in tattoos. "–thing?"

"What the hell is happening?" Ace questioned, confused.

"I need you to make a list of these names," Elijah said.

"Sabine? Elijah, what is this?" Hayley asked.

"I believe they represent the names of the women Celeste inhabited for the past two centuries." Elijah answers as Marcel rejoins them and hands the paper and pen to Hayley.

"It's called a Devinette. It's old school. Kind of a riddle. Witches use them to teach their kids. Solve it and it disappears." Marcel.

"Why? What's the point?" Ace asked, looking around at them.

"Celeste forced me to make a choice between myself and my siblings, and now she means to mock that choice, taunting me with a childish game. The longer the game, the more they suffer. To find Klaus and Rebekah, we need to solve this riddle. The solution lies somewhere in these names." Elijah said.

"The name next to Sabine... Annie La Fleur, she's the witch that was shunned from her coven just over a year ago. Never knew why, but I can find out. " Marcel stated with a frown.

FLEUR-DE-LIS SANATORIUM 

Klaus still lies on the bed in an abandoned room as Genevieve enters. His eyes are closed but he is conscious as she touches his stomach where a nasty scar protrudes from where Papa Tunde's blade disappeared inside of him, he opens his eyes still in a weak state and sweating and had dark circles under his eyes.

"You poor thing" Genevieve murmured as she speaks to him gently and goes over to the hospital cart and picks up a scalpel off the tray, his eyes watching her. "Don't worry, I'm here to help."

She speaks as she cuts open his stomach along the line of the red scar, she pushes up her sleeve and digs her hand into his stomach; he screams and thrashes against the restraints as she pulls out Papa Tunde's blade; he growls at her and writhes in pain.