EIGHTEEN

THE ABATTOIR COMPOUND

Elijah enters the study to find Klaus searching furiously for something on the bookshelf.

"Can I help you find something?" Elijah asked his brother.

"Yes, in fact, I believe you can. I'm looking for a book, about yay big, filled with our mother's most powerful spells. It appears to have been misplaced." Klaus stated.

"How very mysterious." Elijah remarked as he sat at his desk.

"Indeed. At first, I feared the witches had succeeded in their efforts to obtain it, but, considering their last attempt ended with me relieving a rather large, tattooed gentleman of his hands, I began to wonder if the thief wasn't a bit closer to home." Klaus explained and noticed Elijah nonchalantly scribbling in a notebook. "Don't make this harder than it needs to be, brother."

"Well, admittedly, I did have a theory that your sudden interest in mother's grimoire was in some way related to whatever foolishness you've been conducting with the Crescent wolves. Therefore, I took it upon myself to carefully place it where naughty, little fingers could not pry." Elijah explained to his brother.

"And here I thought you, of all people, would understand. I am simply trying to help those wolves! Play Samaritan to the abused, champion to the underdog, so to speak." Klaus replied.

"How splendidly noble of you." Elijah said.

"Have you ever considered that, like you, I am trying to keep Hayley safe? Using our mother's magic to empower her people so they are capable of protecting her?" Klaus questioned.

"Yes, unless, of course, they decide to seek retribution for decades held in exile, and Hayley will find herself in the middle of an uprising. One that will only provoke further violence. You see, you risk turning New Orleans into a war zone, brother. I won't let that happen." Elijah answered as he stood up and walked toward him.

"The drums of war were beating long before we returned. I suggest you use a little less of this, " Klaus remarked and made a talking gesture with his hand. "And a little more of these." Klaus points to his ears, and smiles fakely before sitting on the couch.

MARCEL'S HIDEOUT & THE ABATTOIR

Marcel walks around his loft as he considers what he's about to do. After a moment of hesitation, he calls Klaus, who is at the Abattoir compound.

"Think very carefully before you speak. The sound of your voice is likely to make me regret what mercy I've shown thus far." Klaus hissed in the phone as he sat at the kitchen table as Ace was standing in front of the fridge looking for food.

"Yeah, yeah. I know. I'm on your "who's been naughty" list. Thing is, Cami needs you. Whatever anger you have towards me, don't make her suffer for it. She's with Kieran." Marcel declared as Klaus hung up.

Ace turns around to look at Klaus when he hears a bang behind him and sees that Klaus had thrown his phone down on the table and had his head in his hands as he groaned.

"You okay?" Ace asked, confused.

"Yeah" Klaus mumbled before he looked up at Ace with a small smile.

ACE'S APARTMENT

Ace sighs as he walks through the door of his apartment. He locked the front door before he kicked off his shoes. A lot of things are happening around him making his head hurt because he doesn't really know who or what to focus on. Ace walks further into his apartment, he rubs his eyes before walking into the kitchen and opens the fridge to see if he had something good to eat, but all he saw was a couple eggs and some juice.

"I'm not going grocery shopping" Ace groaned before slamming the fridge door closed.

He threw himself on the couch and closed his eyes before leaning his head back on the couch. He frowned a little before suddenly standing up and walking over to the closet where he had all his things from his childhood. He opened the door before looking at the box that was on the shelf before taking it down and placing it on the kitchen table.

He took a moment before he opened the box slowly. He put the lid beside him before talking out the picture that was on top in the box. Ace smiled a little when he looked at the picture his uncle had taken of him and his cousins when they were small. His eyes drew away from the picture in his hand to another picture in the box but this picture was of his uncle and him standing in front of the cabin his uncle owned, it was where their families spent a lot of their time. Ace turned the picture around and saw something written on the back of the picture, he moved the picture closer to him to see what it said, he knew that his uncle had written it.

You know where to find me...

T.R